Make Your Own To-Go "Latte" Cups!

I was at the dollar store the other day and noticed that they were selling a package with two disposable coffee cups along with lids and a package of "Cafe Latte" mix, inside each cup. This is of course intended for those who love their lattes to go, but don't want to pay the Starbuck's price tag! I considered buying one for a friend, then realized I could easily reproduce this myself.

There are two ways you can do this:

"Green" Way: If you are conscious of the environment, you know that using disposable cups isn't the best idea, so what you can do is purchase a reusable coffee mug and place a few packages of your homemade drink mix inside. (measured accordingly of course)

Other Way: You can also do the same thing like the dollar store did, just purchase disposable coffee cups with lids and store the pre-measured homemade coffee mix inside each cup. Here are a few homemade mixes you can use: (I always use instant espresso powder for my coffee mixes, it's more expensive, but makes the mixes taste so much better!)

Soy Hot Chocolate Mix

• 1/2 cup non dairy creamer (vanilla is nice)
  • 1/2 cup soy milk powder (instant)
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • Ad
  • 1 cup icing sugar
  • 1/2cup vegan marshmallows*

*Hard to find but if you live in a big city the health food store has them, or opt for kosher marshmallows which are made from fish gelatin, not pig!)

Blend all ingredients in a food processor except for marshmallows. Mix in marshmallows by hand and place in a jar or plastic bag. Instructions: Add 2 tbsp soy hot chocolate mix to 1 cup hot water or to taste.

Cafe Latte

Rich Hot Chocolate Mix:

Cafe Mocha

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

Great way to save $$$ by making it yourself. This way you "hopefully" know what went into the recipe. When people mention the dollar type stores which do low, low prices.... many of the foods, toothpastes, cleaning supplies etc. are made in China. I FOUND Crest toothpaste which looked like the real deal till I studied the packaging! Bottom line if you are going to eat it, wash with it, put it on your skin, et think twice. What is the cost to your health? NO MATTER where I shop I read the label. Even expensive brand name toys are made over seas by China. This is not safe! BEWARE.

My mom-in-law washes styrofoam cups from McDonalds and such in the dishwasher and reuses them (dad-in-law likes coffee from styrofoam cups...bad teeth,maybe?). I don't think they re-use the lids, but I think it can be done washing by hand.

Crafts Gifts Gift MixesDecember 12, 2008
starbucks sign
Saving Money at Starbucks
Reusing Keurig K-Cups
Reusing Keurig K-Cups
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
Chai Tea Latte
Chai Tea Latte Recipes