Source: My older kind neighbor
By Beth from Fairfield, PA
Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.
By Arthur 11/13/2011
I thank you, Beth, and everyone who as "enlightened" this wonderful tip.
By Diane 11/12/2011
This is a great tip! Thank you! Usually, after the candle has burnt down, I soak the votive in very hot and soapy water for about 5 minutes and the remaining wax residue slides right out!
By Darla 11/12/2010
I do this all the time, works great.
By Anonymous 11/10/2010
This is also a good idea for fire prevention by keeping a glass candle holder from possibly breaking and spreading fire when the candle burns down to the bottom. ;-)
Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".
If you're going to put a candle in a glass holder, put a few drops of water down into the glass before you burn it. When the candle melts it won't stick to the glass, and will be easy to remove. This works great for the small candles in tea lamps.
By Maile from Onalaska, WA
Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.
Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.
I love burning candles; however, I don't like cleaning and scraping the candle residue from the holder after the candle burns up. To solve this problem, place about two to three drops of water in the bottom of the candle holder then place the candle in the holder. After the candle is burned through, the residue pops out very easily.
By Marnita from Cumming, GA
Removing burned-down votive candles from holders used to be a troublesome task, but not anymore. Fill holders with a full inch of water before inserting candles - the liquid will prevent wax from adhering to the holder. When it's time to put in a new candle, the old one will pop out easily.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, Aug. 2004
By cailifouhnofthemist from Williams Lake, B.C.