Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Preventing Wax Residue in Candle Holders

I used to have the kindest neighbor who I would visit often. She always had everything decorated so nicely, and she always had candles burning. She told me that she always put a little bit of water in the bottom of the glass votive before putting her candle in to prevent the wax from sticking to glass votive and she was right!

Source: My older kind neighbor

By Beth from Fairfield, PA

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Arthur [4]11/13/2011

I thank you, Beth, and everyone who as "enlightened" this wonderful tip.

By Diane [5]11/12/2011

This is a great tip! Thank you! Usually, after the candle has burnt down, I soak the votive in very hot and soapy water for about 5 minutes and the remaining wax residue slides right out!

By Darla [19]11/12/2010

I do this all the time, works great.

By Anonymous [848]11/10/2010

This is also a good idea for fire prevention by keeping a glass candle holder from possibly breaking and spreading fire when the candle burns down to the bottom. ;-)

Solutions: Preventing Wax Residue in Candle Holders

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Easy Votive Candle Wax Clean Up

If you're going to put a candle in a glass holder, put a few drops of water down into the glass before you burn it. When the candle melts it won't stick to the glass, and will be easy to remove. This works great for the small candles in tea lamps.

By Maile from Onalaska, WA

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Preventing Residue in Candle Holders

I love burning candles; however, I don't like cleaning and scraping the candle residue from the holder after the candle burns up. To solve this problem, place about two to three drops of water in the bottom of the candle holder then place the candle in the holder. After the candle is burned through, the residue pops out very easily.

By Marnita from Cumming, GA

RE: Preventing Residue in Candle Holders

Another way to get the remaining candle residue out of a candle holder is to put it in the freezer overnight. It should pop right out. (05/23/2006)

By nitajaye

Removing burned-down votive candles from holders used to be a troublesome task, but not anymore. Fill holders with a full inch of water before inserting candles - the liquid will prevent wax from adhering to the holder. When it's time to put in a new candle, the old one will pop out easily.

Source: Martha Stewart Living, Aug. 2004

By cailifouhnofthemist from Williams Lake, B.C.

I have found the easiest way to get to get a votive candle out of it's holder after it has burned down is to put it in the freezer. I don't know how long it has to stay there, maybe several hours. It can be popped out with a butter knife and it is clean as a whistle. Try it. It works nicely. (05/21/2010)

By Linda from PA

According to Rachel Ray, a little Vaseline in the bottom of the candle holder will eliminate the problem, too. (05/21/2010)

By Yanaron