Treating Overprocessed Hair Before Highlighting Again

My hair is not the healthiest due to highlighting (overprocessing). I had my hair highlighted yesterday, but ended up with a completely different color than discussed with the hairdresser. She agreed that it needed to be highlighted a second time to get more of the look I wanted.

So it's highlighted a second time in one sitting, and it's still not what I had in mind. I asked for an overall platinum blonde look, but instead I have strands of copper lending a much darker look than requested. I want to process it again. I can't stand how it looks!

Is there a conditioner or product that can be applied to protect hair before highlighting it. The second highlight she gave me was a partial, versus a full like the first time. There is concern about frying my hair. Help!

By Ky

YES! Your hair will get fried if it was highlighted twice on the same day.

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and advise you to live with it and give the hair a rest. Any person's hair cannot take all that abuse of bleaching and coloring.

Go to a professional beauty supply store and buy a good conditioner. Talk with someone at the store and explain what your problem is. While you're conditioning your hair, get regular hair cuts and wait until the healthy hair grows back.

Take a picture with you when your hair is finally ready to be treated agan. That way the hairdresser will know exactly what you want.

I agree with MCW. Your hair will grow back ( I've had this happen, not the beautician's fault). Live with it, let it grow as much as you can take and then be really specific when you go to get it done again. If you can, grow it out (maybe highlighting to give a lift/lightness around your face). If you use the same colorist, make sure that both of you know what you're aiming for.

Get yourself 1."Tresemme remedy split" Shampoo and conditioner 2. Pantene 2-min deep conditioner 3. Tresemme hear protection spray 4. Organic Coconut oil. Use the Shampoo and conditioner every time you wash your hair, Use the hear protector every time your blow dry and/or flat iron or curl, Use the deep conditioner 1-3 times a week. with the coconut oil, put it in your hair from mid-shaft to tip 1-3 nights a week and leave it in your hair overnight and shampoo and condition as normal in the morning.

I have semi-fine hair and once you wash your hair in the morning, it doesn't leave your hair oily. I have bleached, dyed, and box dyed my hair multiple times, so lets just say my hair isn't perfect by any means. I've been box dying it black for a long time, and I want to go lighter this spring, so I figured I would try something to make my hair a little more prepared before I hit the salon, This routine has made my hair 10X better. Its so soft, and shiny, I can run my hand through it without hitting a crazy amount of tangles.

I also heard that coconut oil is great for a hot oil treatments. heat up a few scoops, have a bath and put it in your hair, then cover your head with a plastic bag and leave in for half an hour to an hour. I haven't tried this yet but when you heat up the oil, the hair follicles open up and take it in easier. I hope this helps and good luck!

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips DamagedJuly 28, 2010
girl with highlights
Highlighting Your Hair
Remedies for Static Hair
Remedies for Static Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink