Cleaning "Dry Clean Only" Clothing at Home

I have some dresses that require dry cleaning. I would like to know how to do that work in home conditions?

By Marita from Shkoder, Albania

Depends upon the piece of clothing. Many silk pieces are marked "dry clean only" when you can actually hand wash them carefully. If your jackets/sweaters/coats need freshening up, try Febreze or a similar fabric spray.

Another suggestion - check into the "Dryel" product (I believe it is a Procter and Gamble product) that you can buy at the grocery store or discount store and use in your dryer. I've not used it for any kind of set-in stains, but it works well for refreshing and de-wrinkling "dry clean only" garments at home.

A baby spit up on my blazer which is 53% rayon and 47% polyester. Instructions say "Dry Clean Only," but I don't want to have it dry cleaned. How can I get the spot out?

By Lindy from Missouri Ozarks

Answers:

ehow.com/how_2072601_those-steep-dry-cleaning-fees.html
Pictured on this website is a product that can be purchased at most any large grocery store chain. This website has a lot of information and I use it all the time. (02/16/2010)

By MCW

Dryell is an at home dry cleaning product that is available at most grocery, drug stores, Target, etc. The starter pack comes with a bottle of dry cleaner-style spot cleaning solution. I've had a lot of success with the product and it has saved me a lot of money on dry cleaning. Good luck. (02/19/2010)

By tahlula

How do you wash a down jacket that says "dry clean only" at home?

Herbal from Louisville, KY

Answers:

Okay, this will not work for anything but a down jacket or down slippers. But I live in Colorado and have had many a down jacket. This is how we clean them; Wash in cold water in Woolite. Spin in the washer twice to remove as much water as you can. Pop into dryer with tennis balls or a tennis shoe to fluff the jacket as it dries. Works every time and I have cleaned down jackets that have even been thrown up on. (01/05/2007)

By Debra in Colorado

I use Dryel "At Home Dry Cleaning" on everything that says "dry clean only." I haven't been to the dry cleaner in 2 years. You can find it at the grocery store and just follow the instructions on the container. (01/05/2007)

By CarlaJS