Storage Solutions for a Small Car

I have bought a smaller car and I need ideas for homemade pockets of some kind. I would like some that hang off the front dash to hold a cell phone, note book, pen, and an average size box of Kleenex. I was thinking about something similar to shoe pockets, but I don't sew. Thanks.

By BJ from MO

Depending on how you would hang them on the dash board, would depend on what type of pockets you have. Some of the "junk" catalogs that I get in the mail have something similar to put over the arm of a chair or couch. Some are made to slide one end between the box spring and mattress. Something like this could be laid beside you on the seat, with the pockets hanging down the front of the seat. I think the bed ones have an actual pocket for a box of tissues and I think that pocket has an atual slot that you can pull the tissues out.

Maybe you could find those shoe pockets at a dollar store and just cut off the size you need (2 or 3 of the pockets).

I'm not sure how you would hang them from the dash, though.

I bought some bucket seat covers one time, that had pockets built-in. They had a fair amount of pockets on them, if you think that this might be an option, instead of hanging from the dash.

I don't know if you would want to use the velcro that is self sticking or not and I am not sure how it would work when it gets hot. There might be a problem of it loosening up when it gets hot in your car. They do make a heavy duty velcro that would probably work the best. Another thing you could use it take a clear shoe bag holder, the kind that has about 12 pockets in it and cut it down to the size you want. That way, if you use the clear, you could see at a glance what is in it.

My husband has an organizer he bought years ago that clips onto the sun visor, they may be available in auto accessories stores, like Pep Boys . You then could get some velcro (the type with adhesive backing) and you could attach it to the dashboard. I imagine that would be safer than having something hanging, difficult to reach into and distracting when it moves.

Consumer Advice Cars AdviceJuly 7, 2010
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver
Man Cleaning Car Interior
Cleaning Your Car's Interior