AdviceGreen Living

Creative Ways To Live Green

I need creative ways on how to live green.

Lilly from Paris, France

I use baking soda to clean my sinks, alot cheaper that the commercial cleaners. Just wet the sink sprinkle on the baking soda and scrub with a damp sponge. For stubborn stains, let dampened baking soda sit on the stain for 15 minutes and then scrub. Baking soda can also be used to clean your toilet bowl.

Instead of using furniture polishes, used fabric softner dryer sheets work great for picking up dust. Use them dry to polish chrome faucets and mirrors then just throw away.

Hello Lilly!

The great news is, there are so many ways to live green. Here are a few:

Anytime you decide that you need or want something, first determine if it is something you REALLY need. How long and how will it bring joy and beauty to your life? Is it just going to create clutter? Maybe force yourself to wait a day or even a week before buying the item. If you decide that you really do need the item, make every effort to purchase it second hand. I rarely buy clothing that has not been preowned and people frequently compliment me on how I am dressed. I have also purchased (or been given) most every piece of furniture I own. I update or modify it into whatever I want it to be or look like. It is such a fun and GREEN way to be creative. If you have FreeCycle in Paris, take a look there and see what people are giving away AND give away items that you no longer want. Being green is a way of giving back to others and to the planet.

Another way to be green is to consider the cleaning products you use in your home. There are so many environmentally safe household and laundry cleaning products on the market (plus baking soda - as mentioned previously, vinegar, citrus juice, etc.), there is no longer a need to use those harsh chemicals any longer. The great thing is that, while the items cost a little more typically, they go a lot farther. For example, you use less laundry soap than you would with the other brands. Try some of these items for yourself and I think you will be happy with them - and so will Mother Nature!

Eating foods that are organic whenever possible is another way to be green. Supporting 'green' farmers helps us to have a healthy supply of food in our world. Farming by using pesticides and herbicides is neither healthy to people, animals or the planet. Again, foods are often a bit more pricey, but I find that I am more careful about the amount of organic food I buy and consume - good for the planet and my waistline :).

Finally, you have taken a huge step just by asking and researching. Learn as much as you can. Try new ways of going green a little at a time. With the holidays coming up, strive to make them green. Don't use paper gift wrapping - instead make some usable gift bags or buy containers at a second hand store for your wrapping. AND, let your loved ones know that you are doing this in order to go green, because you care about your planet, and all of the people and other creatures in it.

Good luck and have fun - it is a joy to do this!

Lorrie

Colorado

IdeelByte.com is all about being green.

CFL (compact fluorescent light) bulbs + turning off/on the lights as I leave or enter a room equaled a significant reduction in energy use and consequently in my electric bill. I really enjoyed that!!

Walk, public transportation, bicycle, walk.... when ever possible.

Car pool.

Eat less meat. ["Relax everyone - I didn't say go vegetarian."] Cut back on your meat intake and you will be cutting back on your participation in the very un-green practices of our factory farming/meat production. I don't know if it's any better in France than the USA?

Buy local (that should be much easier in Paris!) - if the food comes from nearby then it isn't being trucked across country (using gasoline and spewing out exhaust).