Guinea Pig Won't Use Litter Box

We adopted a guinea pig about 6 weeks ago. She has been very good about using a litter box when out of her cage. However, we went on vacation for 4 days, and now that we're back - I have noticed that she won't use her litter box. What can I do to get her to use the litter box again? She doesn't like any store bought treats, and we feed her veggies and fruit everyday - so what do I do to give her an incentive to pee in the litter box?
HELP!

R from Savannah, GA

First of all, KUDOS on training your guinea pig to use a box! I never thought they had enough intelligence to be litter-trained.

I litter-trained my rabbit, and I used to notice that she would deliberately not use the box if she was mad at me. That sounds like the same situation you have. The piggie is mad that you went out of town, and is acting out!

The best thing to do is show her more attention and love, so that she loses her "attitude". Then use positive reinforcement (fresh veggies, since she likes those) to get her back to good habits. Basically, start the training again. It won't take as long this time around. Maybe even try a new treat, to really get her attention. My bun will do ANYTHING for a piece of Lucky Charms or Mini-Wheats! If she's really excited about the treat, she'll be more inclined to do what you wish.

Hope this helps!

Guinea pigs tend to have very short memories. So I would agree that your little pet needs to be re-trained. They are very intelligent and they are also very social. Your absence for a couple of days probably was tough on her.

I had lots of guinea pigs for a while (babies) and never was able to litter train them. If you have had ANY success doing this give yourself a huge pat on the shoulder and consider yourself very lucky it happened at all! Most guinea pigs really don't care where they go, even if they get it in their food dish (I know - yuck!)

thanks so much for the encouragement guys! I think we are making progress and she is starting to use the litter box again. I got a corner litter box and she likes to use it when she is out of the cage - but when she's in the cage, she goes back to pooping in the corners - Well, i was just trying to make it easier for me to clean the cage, but if she can keep her poops contained anywhere - i am happy! Thanks again, great advice and support!

Hello, I am new to rasing Guinea Pigs (I have to Males. I have finally found a way to keep the pigs from pooping in the their food bowl.

You know the smallest first rate box that you use from the post office to mail things in?

I took off the top and used it for a ramp to their food no pellets or anything and when I see a mess by accident I quickly remove it same as the bedding that gets solid! Try this for an idea and see if this works for all of you

I am a first time raiser of Guinea Pigs and I am also learning impaired and trying new things with them. They love their parsley and apples and carrots and spinach but have not liked oranges!

Pets Guinea PigsJune 13, 2008
Girl wearing a pig costume with a pink straw hat.
Making a Pig Costume
Cute Guinea Pig
Giving Vitamin Supplements to Guinea Pigs
Homemade Cat Litter Box
Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
🎉
🎄