Flowers That Won't Wilt In Hot Weather

I was hoping to find ideas for flowers for my wedding party. I need to find some that will not wilt in the Florida heat for a September or October wedding. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Claire from Jacksonville, FL

I had excellent luck with Dahlias and Nasturtium flowers for my late August wedding. The verbenas I planted didn't make it in the hot sun. Good luck!

use silk!

It doesn't sound like you want to use silk flowers, but there is another idea that works and saves a lot of money, I did something like this at my son's wedding that was inside a beautiful victorian home.You can probably learn this in a few hours, but you basically make ribbon roses, you can practice on the ribbon that has little ridges.I found that if I used the satin that is used for quiltbinding for the edges, found in a pkg. at fabric stores, that the roses come out looking like a soft sculture, then you can use baby's breath with it, and even some dried rosebuds and inmitation pearls.You can also lightly scent them, by saving a little money, you can add some nicer trims, also I have discovered that there is a nylon net with round clear type rhinestones already in the net, I found mine at Joanne fabrics, it looks very expensive, it comes in white or cream.I used Beacon's Lighthouse fabric glue, and other than it getting on your fingers, it holds well, you could just also use a needle and thread for the ribbon roses.For the base of the bridal bouguet sp? I used the regular round holders that you can find at craft or fabric stores.You also can always just take plain white netting, without the stones and use that in a lot of places, because it is inexpensive, but it looks dressy.One other idea, my friend had to save money in her wedding, so the flowers that decorated the Church and altar area were just potted flowers, that you could buy and give as gifts to people that help out.That way they would already be suited to your climate and area, and you could just decorate around the containers with fabric that matches your wedding decor.As far as the detailed instructions for ribbon roses, I think if you just type that in yahoo or somewhere you'll get some details.Wish I was there, since I love making them, it is kind of can also use any beautiful ribbons, the wire rimmed ribbons, practically make the flower for you, and you can use different sheer colors.One way to look at it, is that they last and people can take them home as the wedding favor or a gift to the bridal party ladies.Kersti

What my florist did was to keep them in water and then attach the ribbon right before the ceremony. They were beautiful and didn't wilt at all. It's not like you need them for days...just for a few hours! They'll be fine! Plus, I'm assuming there will be air conditioning!

Weddings FlowersMarch 7, 2006
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers, A bouquet of fresh cut roses for Valentine's Day
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers
Computer Won't Start in Cold Weather
Hot Weather Cooking
Hot Weather Cooking Tips