Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Underwear

My mom is starting to soil her undies. How do I get out the feces and urine. I put tried bleach and water, then soaking and washing them in detergent but the smell of bleach is there. Any other suggestions would really help. Thank you.

Lamie

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Karen03/08/2009

Thanks for the tips as my hubby has accidents sometimes. Sure appreciated.

By Diane02/27/2009

We have Napisan in Australia as well. However an inexpensive soaker which also works on soiled nappies is bi-carb soda ( baking soda) disoolved in hot water.

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD (Guest Post)02/18/2009

Look in your supermarket laundry aisle for products sold in tubs that are used to whiten and brighten nappies. I always soak white bras, etc in them and they come out looking like new!

By Janette [77]02/17/2009

Plain club soda is the best thing I have found to remove stains. Just soak the undies in the club soda and wash as usual.This product removes almost anything. Hope this helps. ~Janette~

By soyzicks (Guest Post)02/17/2009

I use a pet product that removes stains and odor - gives off nice scent. I think I am going to switch to the borax suggestions. I believe borax is cheaper than what I have been paying for.

By kidena (Guest Post)02/17/2009

Try using 1/2 cup tide detergent, 1/2 cup borax, & 1 cup bleach in your washing machine with the machine filling with water. If possible dry items in the sun outside. I've been doing this for over 48 years & have never had a problem with any white clothes or even pastel womens panties not coming out impeccable clean (even with an occasional accident).
good luck.

By falldowngobump [1]02/17/2009

I have the same problem with my MIL. I use 20 Mule Team Borax. I just add about 1/4 to a half of cup with my usual laundry detergent. It does a great job removing odors.

By jan nash [8]02/17/2009

Here in the UK we have a very good product called Napisan which is used to soak fabric nappies (diapers) befor laundering. If thats available in the USA you could try that.

By flower51 (Guest Post)02/16/2009

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions I will sure try them. It is a great help. Thank you all.

By Debi savicky02/16/2009

Use hydrogen peroxide instead of the bleach. Gets everything sqeaky clean and disenfected, without yellowing or the toxic smell.

By Debi savicky02/16/2009

Instead of using bleach, use hydrogen peroxide. Gets everything squeaky clean, no yellowing like bleach does, and best of all no bleach smell!

By (Guest Post)02/16/2009

My mom used cloth diapers and she used to soak them in a solution of borax and water. They sell 20 mule team borax at most stores. It's natural and won't break down the fibers as fast as bleach, and is less apt to cause skin allergies. It works wonders. Give it a try!

By Amber [1]02/15/2009

I love the smell of bleach it just smells like clean to me, but I would add the vinegar or I would use less bleach and soak the panties in vinegar then wash with a little bleach. The vinegar can also be sprayed on furniture that she has sat on it will smell like vinegar until it dries but it's better than urine smell. If bleach and vinegar cannot be used in the wash I would use Spray and Wash or maybe some Oxyclean.

By Judi [17]02/15/2009

You can use vinegar instead of fabric softener in the fabric softener dispenser place in your washer. This should remove all smells of bleach. I find the smell very irritating so when I wash my white handkerchiefs using bleach I am sure to use vinegar to remove the smell. Also, consider getting your mother something like depends.

By Friesland sage (Guest Post)02/15/2009

Just use the same products as for baby clothes. They are made to take out all the stains that come out of either end of the baby!

I began using baby detergent years ago for my sensitive skin. I like the way it makes my sheets and other laundry smell, too. Hope this will be a solution for you.

By michaela [1]02/15/2009

try adding a cup of white vinegar to the wash water and wash in hot water allow them to soak if you can good luck

By Maggie Speed02/15/2009

Try adding a cup of baking soda to rinse water.