Removing Concrete

I have a concrete block that is too heavy to be moved without breaking into small chunks. The block is about 4 feet in diameter and 6 inches deep. It is also reinforced with wire. I tried using the jack hammer, but no luck. Suggestions?

By Deb from San Jose, CA

Best Answer

Try a concrete contractor and see if they will do the work while they are in the area doing a bigger job. This will save you some money. We did this recently with an old garage pad. Not cheap, but we saved a few hundred. The other thought is that you have to dispose of the concrete somewhere and they know where to take it. I don't think you're supposed to just put it in the garbage pickup

Best Answer

I used a 5lb mallet "John Henry style" (and I'm an older, petit woman, so it can be done) to break up a cement slab over a planter bed the previous owners had put down. The 2 slabs I broke up were about 8 feet by 2 feet by 5 inches. Since we live on a gravel road I used some of it to fill some potholes. A spike and mallet might break your block up, but if it's still in decent shape and someone can use it, don't forget abut FreeCycle and Craigslist.

Best Answer

You need a bigger jackhammer. You can probably rent one at HomeDepot. Remember to wear hearing and eye protection.

Try a 4-inch dry-cut diamond blade for a circular saw. Good luck.

Well, where is it, and what was it's original purpose? What is your purpose for the space now? One suggestion: dig a hole nearby, twice as deep as the piece is, lever it over, and bury it.

That could be used by your county workers when constructing/blocking roads while working on them and I would contact someone like that first before breaking apart or a gas station or other businesses in town and they could haul it for you and be put to good use.

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceNovember 18, 2009
Slippery When Wet Concrete
Solution for Slippery Concrete
An old painted concrete floor.
Painting Concrete Floors
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
concrete driveway
Removing Rust Stains from Concrete