Removing Concrete

I have a concrete block that is too heavy to be moved without breaking into small chunks. The block is about 4 feet in diameter and 6 inches deep. It is also reinforced with wire. I tried using the jack hammer, but no luck. Suggestions?

By Deb from San Jose, CA

Best Answer

Try a concrete contractor and see if they will do the work while they are in the area doing a bigger job. This will save you some money. We did this recently with an old garage pad. Not cheap, but we saved a few hundred. The other thought is that you have to dispose of the concrete somewhere and they know where to take it. I don't think you're supposed to just put it in the garbage pickup

Best Answer

I used a 5lb mallet "John Henry style" (and I'm an older, petit woman, so it can be done) to break up a cement slab over a planter bed the previous owners had put down. The 2 slabs I broke up were about 8 feet by 2 feet by 5 inches. Since we live on a gravel road I used some of it to fill some potholes. A spike and mallet might break your block up, but if it's still in decent shape and someone can use it, don't forget abut FreeCycle and Craigslist.

Best Answer

You need a bigger jackhammer. You can probably rent one at HomeDepot. Remember to wear hearing and eye protection.

Try a 4-inch dry-cut diamond blade for a circular saw. Good luck.

Well, where is it, and what was it's original purpose? What is your purpose for the space now? One suggestion: dig a hole nearby, twice as deep as the piece is, lever it over, and bury it.

That could be used by your county workers when constructing/blocking roads while working on them and I would contact someone like that first before breaking apart or a gas station or other businesses in town and they could haul it for you and be put to good use.