Theme Ideas for a Church Trunk or Treat

As door to door trick or treating declines many new activities have taken its place. This is a guide about theme ideas for church "trunk or treat".

September 29, 2008 Flag

We are having a "Trunk or Treat" at our church and I am in need of a cute theme to go by! I want it to be so my family can dress up like the theme!

Debra from Savannah, GA

Best Answer

Since it's being held at your church I'm assuming you don't want scary things like witches or vampires and the like. Our church has done this for several years, but they left the theme for the trunk decorations up to the individuals. Were you wanting an idea for your trunk or the whole event?

How about scarecrows? There are all sorts of ways to make a scarecrow and/or scarecrow costumes. We usually have a Fall theme for the event. That gives everyone a little more variety as far as costumes are concerned. We did the scarecrow thing once. I painted a large clay pot to look like a peice of candy corn with a silly face on it. We used it for the treats. We had a scarecrow sitting on the edge of the tailgate of our van. We had draped a dark blue fabric behind the back seat and make it look like the night sky (stars and moon attached). Then we put a bail of hay in the trunk and some pumpkins. It turned out really cute.

Another time we used a winter theme with stuffed snowmen and a small sled. We used that white sparkling cloth that they sell for under the Christmas tree to make it look like snow. Another person used a 1960's theme with all the wild colors and fabrics. You could be a "Flower Child". Those are just a few ideas. If you want more just contact me and I will be happy to give you some. Judy in Alabama

Best Answer

Our church is hosting a trunk or treat as well this year. And just this morning, my kids and I decided on a Noah's Ark theme. I'll cut a large ark shape from plywood, paint it up, mount it in the back of our van. I figure I'll cut an opening, like the door to the ark, for the kids to reach in and get the candy, stack dozens of stuffed animals on top. We're even going to take our pet rabbit ("kangaroo") with us for the kids to pet, if they like!

You could do something like this (even a zoo or farm theme, would work) and have your children dress up as different animals. Hope this helps! God Bless you & your family!

The Charlie Brown: Great Pumpkin is always a hit. You might even be able to get it on DVD and play it on the portable DVD player as the kids walk by.

Had a great time at trunk or treat last night. Some of the trunks were Hillbilly (had granny in rocking chair stirring pot with dry ice), Jonah and the Whale (car covered to look like whale, kids stuck their hand into tote of cooked spagetti and jello and tried to pull out Jonah), Indians (set up teepee), Cowboys (campfire with candles to be shot out by watergun), The Great Pumpkin (showed the movie and was decorated with lot of pumpkins) Lazurus (used truck bed camper to resemble tomb and performed small skit of Jesus raising Lazurus every 20 mins) Luau (built tiki hut in truck bed and did the limbo) Fiery Furnance (cardboard box with heater and orange lights that kids could look into) 50's trunk, old-fashioned trunk, and more. Great success and the grown-ups liked it too. God Bless

Holidays and Parties Halloween AdviceNovember 17, 2016
Church Tea
Church Harvest Tea Ideas
old trunk
Recovering a Trunk With Vinyl
Church Decorated for Wedding
Decorating a Church for a Wedding
three ornaments
Making Christmas Tree Trunk Ornaments
🎉
🎄