Browsing: Homemade Ensure Substitute Recipes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Ensure Substitute Recipes

When making a nutritional shake, you want to make sure it contains the essential nutrients. This guide is about homemade Ensure substitute recipes.

Ensure Substitute

October 17, 2011 Flag

I am wanting ideas for a homemade nutrition shake for the elderly similar to Ensure.

By Audrey

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You could also look through recipes for smoothies. If the right ingredients are used, smoothies can add a lot of nutrition. Find out what the elderly person enjoys eating, fruits, veggies, nut butters, things like that. For example, bananas are very nutritious, and make a delicious smoothie. Healthy food sites, nutrition sites, body builder sites might give you some recipes.

I have had a smoothie made with cooked sweet potato, banana, a touch of peanut butter, a bit of molasses, plus a bit of honey, some cinnamon and nutmeg, mixed with milk and, to make it a little like ice cream, some ice. Mmm! It was very good, kind of like sweet potato pie. I am sure it was very nutritious. I'm also sure it had a lot of calories, lol.

I am assuming that you are asking either because someone doesn't like the taste of these 'shakes', or because they are expensive. Putting the shake in the freezer until it is slushy improves the flavor for some people. Adding a touch of a favored spice, like vanilla or cinnamon, helps some. As for the cost, you might not save much by making it yourself since good ingredients can be expensive too.

Good luck! If you find out how to do this, please share. I would vote for it since a lot of people could benefit from the information.

Best Answer

I, too, have been looking for same, and recently ran across this recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to as soon as I get protein powder (also called Whey powder and can be purchased at Wal-Mart at very reasonable price).

Ensure Substitute

1/4 can sweetened condensed milk (adjust to taste) (I make my own)

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup fresh strawberries

1/2 cup whole milk

2-3 T. protein powder

Mix well in blender. (Whey powder can be bought in vanilla, chocolate, cookies and cream, and strawberry). I plan on using strawberry powder and possibly leave out the fresh strawberries. You may have to tweek the ingredients a little to suit your taste.

Optional, (use any or all):

2-3 tablespoons wheat germ

1/2 tsp. Omega 3 oil (Just break open a Fish Oil tablet)

Vitamin powder (follow directions on can)

Here is another alternative I found which I will also try:

Chocolate Triple Thick Shake

blend in blender 1/2 cup skim milk with 2 scoops chocolate whey protein and half a tray of ice. It will taste like a chocolate milk shake with way less sugar, but you still can't avoid the calories.

(Can use whole milk, and any other flavor of protein powder you prefer, plus add a little condensed milk or honey or corn syrup for sweetness if wanting more nutrition and calories)

Hope these are something we both can find yummy and useful for our purpose. I'm really anxious to try them on my husband who has health issues and doesn't have much appetite for real food at times.

Blessings.

I'm looking for the same and just did a quick search of 'homemade Ensure.' One of the suggestions was Carnation Instant Breakfast drink mix. I would think the taste would be similar, though I don't know how it compares nutritionally. You may also want to do an online search of 'homemade Ensure' or something like 'make your own Ensure' or 'alternative to Ensure.' Good luck!

Food and Recipes Recipes Beverages ShakesJune 2, 2013
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Substitute for Buttermilk in Recipes
Two bare feet.
Homemade Foot Powder
spoon with drizzling agave syrup
Using Agave Nectar
Homemade Vaporub, ointment in jar
Homemade Vaporub Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 10:16:17 PM on 10.0.1.230 in 601 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.