Use Flat Sheets Over Comforter

With a king sized bed, washing bedding is a major task - and washing blankets and comforters sometimes necessitates a trip to a laundromat to use the high capacity machines.

Having two cats sleeping (and shedding) on the bed does not make this any easier. I have a duvet cover for my comforter, but even that takes up an entire load on its own, and in the summer we don't use the comforter at all.

I simplified my life, and reduced my laundry expenses, by buying a few flat sheets that coordinate with my bedding and decor. When I make the bed, I spread the flat sheet across the top of the bed (I usually turn it sideways so it hangs nicely - but each sheet varies a bit in dimensions). When I change my sheets, I just grab this sheet also - throw them all in the wash together - and then I have a hair free bed topper and less bulk in my laundry.

By Regina from Rochester, NY

Thank you for that tip. I have many animals and they love the bed also. I am in the process of moving and buying all new bedding and I was wondering how to keep my new comforter clean and prevent rips and tears. THANK YOU SO MUCH for this tip.

I do the exact same thing because my Doberman thinks our bed is his!

Measure your bed. Go to a store like WalMart with a Fabric department. Buy the thick clear plastic on a roll to fit the size of your bed. This cuts Way Back on laundry. It is Clear so your pretty bedding shows through. Leave an old sheet on the bed for the pets .

We don't mind them sleeping on our beds.We did mind when they had accidents which seemed to happen most often in the middle of a stormy night,

or when we had just changed the sheets the day before .

Buy the plastic on a cool day & don't leave it in your car for very long. The ladies in the fabric department say it will MELT if left in a hot vehicle.

I use the stuff to protect other furniture & electronics too.

Buy the scraps for smaller jobs. & if the price bugs you, just think of the savings of trouble & cost of cleaning or replacement. The plastic washes clean with paper towels & window cleaner. I now brag about my pretty clear bedspread & it helps to keep the bed warmer in cold weather too .

One of our cats only likes to lay at the end of the bed (unless I'm in it!) so I put a big beach towel at the end of the bed, going sideways.

I use a clear shower curtain liner to cover the bed. Not only does Kamilah the kitty shed a lot, she pees on the bed when she see a cat, skunk, person, dust mote, leaf, etc. out of the window or when we go on vacation or work late several nights in a week. I don't know why she does this. I have taken her to the vet. The vet said "cats have no concept of revenge". Yeah, you tell Kamilah that.

The shower curtain liner is $1.97 at Walmart or $1 for a thinner one at the dollar store. I wipe it with vinegar and water when soiled and drop it in the washer occasionally with towels and sheets.

I have several old flat sheets that I don't use anymore because because the fitted sheet from the set is worn out. The flat sheets make great bed toppers.

I do the same with the sheets and it saves money and time. for your kitty with the pee problem try the spray that is supposed to calm them. I cannot remember the name(starts with an "F" I believe) , but your vet should know it. worked wonders for my sister's cat.

I do the same with the sheets and it saves money and time. for your kitty with the pee problem try the spray that is supposed to calm them. I cannot remember the name (starts with an "F" I believe) , but your vet should know it. worked wonders for my sister's cat.

I, too, put a sheet on our bed. Pita thinks it's hers too, and when she come in, (especially after it has rained), she jumps up on the bed. With her feet being wet (although I have a towel close by the door,she still has wet feet). I have a heavy comforter on the bed (queen size), it is a real pain in the neck to have to wash it. I came up with this idea, after Pita got my spread really dirty (didn't realize that her feet were muddy) hubby let her out then in, while I was in the shower, he forgot to wipe her feet. So now I use the sheet and I don't have trouble washing it. Weezy

I was using a blanket for that purpose, but the hair really sticks & is hard to wash out, so, I will use the sheets from now on!

I too use a sheet to protect the comfortor from all the fur from our many cats, but then I can't seem to get the fur off the sheet unless I rub it with a wet rag or lint roller. Any suggestions?

I use old shower curtains and liners to cover the bed, too, and when Hurricane Sandy left us without electric and heat we discovered that the plastic kept in the body heat while we slept. This is also handy b/c I don't keep the heat up during the night. I also use the plastic to cover my furniture so the animals can lie wherever they like.

Cat sitting on the end of a bed.
Keeping Cat Hair Off Your Bed
Home and Garden Cleaning BedroomsAugust 9, 2007
Fitted Sheet
Making Fitted Sheets
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
Repairing a Flat Tire
Repairing a Flat Tire
🎉
🎄