Try Using MySpace

MySpace, It's not just for kids! As a single mother of three now grown at with homes of their own, sometimes life can get pretty lonely. The day I discovered ThriftyFun was a real pleasure for me. Computers have opened the door for many a lonely person. Granted there are risks of giving personal information, just don't do it!

Recently a niece showed me MySpace. It's lots of fun setting up your page and sharing your interests and cherished photos. It is also pretty safe as a person must send a message asking to be your "Friend" in order to send you messages. There is no contact with you without your approval, or you have the option to deny or block the user. My page is about myself and my family and grandchildren. After all they are my life and I'm one proud Grandma!

I'd like to invite some of my Thrifty Fun friends to share it with me. So many times, I wonder what these folks who've shared so much with me are like and I'd like to get to know you! I encourage you to check out Myspace. Try it, you'll like it!

By Sharon from Ravenna, KY

I have a my-space so I can spy on my dtr. (Hee Hee.) Anyway, I really don't know how to use it well because I don't spend alot of time on the computer but I think it's great to see what's going on in my dtr's world.

Missed the most important part: To contact type in:Myspace.com/sharon 1019 Sharon Shearer

I have a MySpace page if anyone wants to contact me. Send me a message first telling me you're from Thrifty Fun.

myspace.com/noellasue

I don't visit My Space (I've not heard good things about it at all), but I do visit other message boards. I've made some great friendships, some that I've had for ten years now.

I'm glad you've found a board you enjoy visiting.

What I've seen and heard of "My Space", it is not good.

All sorts of personal information goes out over the net, including pictures that aren't good. I highly recommend to friends and family to stay away from it. I don't allow my teens on it either. I saw it at my sister's house when her 19 year old got on it, and it is not good. No holds barred on it, you might start visiting with innocent intentions, but, it is something that should be avoided all together.

Here is my MySpace page...please let me know that you are from ThriftyFun so I can approve you!

myspace.com/sheilasaey

God Bless,

Sheila in Titusville, FL

I would not recommend using sites such as MySpace. I saw Miss New Jersey on a TV news program. She is suing someone because they are blackmailing her about pictures they've downloaded from such a site. She and her lawyer say there is nothing wrong with the photos. They are photos taken of her when she was a theater major in college. I know kids fool around a lot and sit on one anothers laps, etc for such photo taking. It doesnt mean anything to them. However, given captions such as her blackmailer has provided, gives them new meaning! At the time, she and her college friends thought it was a good way to share photos. As a mother and grandmother, I say, "not good."

2nd post regarding MySpace. I've read where some are having fears regarding using MySpace. I've had a page for over a year and have had nothing negative happen. Before someone can become my friend, I have to approve them. Before I approve them I can look at their page to see what they're like. MySpace is very much like the internet as a whole, there are good things and bad things - I used to call it like walking down a street. You might pass by a porn store in a strip mall while going to a restaurant in the same strip mall. I choose to not go in to the porn store.

I have had a couple of people become my friend and after a few of their comments (which I could delete) I decided I didn't want them as a friend and I deleted them as my friend. I've only "blocked" one person. Your own profile that you set up can be completely private and no one can see it but your own friends.

My MySpace page is a reflection of who I am and I can change it as I please. Our local news channel did a bit on my page in relation to seniors and MySpace pages. The reporter became a "friend" of both myself and my 26-year-old son.

I'd say don't be too afraid to try something new. However, if you really, really don't want to do a page then just ignore my post - I'm not here to try to talk someone into doing something they're not comfortable with.

As the previous poster said,we choose what we view as far as web sites are concerned.I don't choose the trash and BLOCK OUT anyone who sends a friend request and is not someone I'd care to make contact with.As for Ms New Jersey she just learned the hard way about the stupid mistake of allowing herself and her body to be used for trashy photos.--when we make our bed we have to lay in it!Sounds cruel but it's the honest truth.

For Boomers, etc, there are other ways to hook up - try Eons.com

Like Noella said, I've had my page for a long time, too. I've never had problems. Also like she does, I check out the profile of anyone that requests to be my friend. If they are offensive to me or I am uncomfortable with the thought of having them seen as my "friend", I simply don't approve them.

We have free will to choose what we look at, what we post and what we will put up with. I choose not to visit sites that make me, as a Christian and as a woman, uncomfortable or offended. I also choose what pictures I will post on a site like that and what ones I won't. My theory is, if I wouldn't be embarrassed for my Pastor to view it, I will post it. If it would cause me embarrassment by one of my church family members, I shouldn't have taken and/or posted it to begin with.

But that is just MY opinion.

God Bless,

Sheila in Titusville, FL

This is an interesting debate. The hot new site for younger folks is now facebook.com. They are leaving MySpace in droves because of how well known it is. I think all the recent publicity and scandals just goes to show that you need to be proud of how you act and who you are. I wouldn't worry about anything that you put out there, as long as you are representing what you would like the world to see about you, just like here at ThriftyFun.

Jess

If you like myspace, you will really like

www.facebook.com

Computers Internet TipsJuly 17, 2007
Dog Crate
Using a Dog Crate as Furniture
A happy dog standing up.
Training a Dog to Stop Mounting (Humping) People
Stove Top Stuffing
Recipes Using Stove Top Stuffing
Bluing
Using Bluing
🎉
🎄