Instructions For Removing Sink Trap

My daughter dropped her diamond down the drain. She called a local plumber who said there would be a service call charge of $55.00 plus a charge to locate the ring. I called my brother in law who does plumbing. Here are the steps he gave me to do the job.

Start by finding the trap, a curved pipe under the sink, and put a bucket under it. Next you will loosen the two slip nuts while holding the trap in place, either by hand or with a plumber's wrench. Apply WD-40 if needed to help loosen nuts. When the trap pipe is off, dump the contents into the bucket. If your jewelry isn't there, use rubber gloves and feel in the pipe right above the trap. It may be stuck above. My daughter found her ring and she did not have to pay a plumber to come out.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall

Editor's Note: When you replace the trap, use some plumbers putty to make sure it doesn't leak. It's always a good idea after doing any plumbing to put a pan or bucket under where the work was done and check it the next day to make sure nothing is leaking.

My trap is so old, it won't budge - so when I got something down the drain, my husband got a long "grabber thing" from the hardware store - & I got it out!

I've heard of people who've also retrieved contact lenses this way, but it must be tricky looking for something that small in the sink trap. Your daughter was lucky twice - got the ring back, and no plumber's bill.

Boy Helping Dad with Plumbing
Plumbing Advice for Homeowners
Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingSeptember 6, 2007
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Plumber holding a plunger peeking out from inside a toilet
Keeping a Toilet from Overflowing
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Shower drain with hair
Unclogging a Shower Drain
🎉
🎄