Keeping Flies Away from Your Horse

I live in France and we have a few horses living close by. I have looked up the natural remedies for keeping flies away from horse's eyes and found them very interesting. The trouble is I do not own these horses, but it breaks my heart to seem them so unhappy. I have been seeing a particular horse each day and know his temperament to understand how unhappy he is.

What can I do to help him without interfering. Here in France they just put their horses out to pasture and that's it! His hooves are all broken, too. Please help. I thought of making up a garlic solution to rub around his eyes, but want your advice. Kind regards.

By Michele from France

I would contact your local ASPCA or your local governing office that protects animals, if you feel you can't talk to the owners. Some people get horses as pets and know nothing about their proper care. You can also gather a lot of information on the Internet regarding the care of horses.

I read on the internet the other day that WD-40 will keep flies off horses and cows. This product is found around the car parts section. It is a spray that can be found very easily. Dollar General even carries it. Hope this helps. ~Janette~

I've just gotten the email about WD-40 too but don't believe it! I checked Snopes and WD-40 is not fish oil and is not harmless. Please do not apply to cows or horses or any living thing.

We have a few horses on our farm and as it is summer in South Africa, the horses are continually bothered by flies. We are having a particularly hot dry summer. Can anyone give me a recipe that I can make up at home to rub or spray on the horses to keep the flies away. Three of the horses have little foals a few weeks old.

Carolyn from SA

Answers: