Use Metallic Elastic for Jewelry

I save all the metallic (and colored) stretch elastic that comes on presents and packages, as I am always finding a use for it, if only to re-use on a present. I just finished a bead necklace that looks like it would cost $100 in Anthropologie and strung the beads (African? I found them at a thrift shop) on silver metallic elastic. Voila! a gorgeous, new, stylish necklace for nada. (I don't remember how much I paid for the beads, but it wasn't a lot.)

You can either cover the elastic, as I did or let it show as part of the necklace design. I have used it in brown to replace a leather thong on a casual necklace. The elastic is really quite sturdy and will last just as long (or longer) then the rubbery elastic often used now to string beads. (I just bought a hematite bracelet strung that way.)

By pamphyila from Los Angeles, CA

Great recycling idea! Thanks for sharing!

Crafts JewelryJune 7, 2011
Cat playing With Elastic Cat Toy
Dangers of Elastic Cat Toys
Repairing the Elastic on Fitted Sheets
Elastic for Clothing
Saving Money on Elastic for Clothing
Cleaning Jewelry
Cleaning Jewelry