Mason Jar Air Freshener
Baking soda is a great natural deodorizer. You can use it as an inexpensive air freshener, but you may not want a box of Arm and Hammer sitting on your bathroom counter. Here is an easy and cute way to make a baking soda air freshener.
Approximate Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 box (1 pound) baking soda, approximately 1 cup
- scrapbooking paper
- tapestry needle
- 1/4 tsp. pure essential oil (any frangrance)
- mason jar, small
- pen or pencil
- Trace the center of the mason jar lid (without the ring) into a piece of scrapbook paper. Cut out the circle.
- Using tapestry needle, poke holes in whatever pattern you wish into the paper. Set aside.
- Pour baking soda into the jar.
- Add essential oil into the jar. Screw lid and ring onto the jar and shake to combine baking soda and oil.
- Remove lid from ring and place paper circle into the ring. Screw onto the jar and place your air freshener where ever you need it.
By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA
April 14, 20120 found this helpful
This is from the ask a scientist website.
The popular "open box of Arm & Hammer in the refrigerator" simply provides an adsorbent material that can soak up odors - but not very effectively. For example, if some of the odoriferous materials floating around in the refrigerator are acidic, the alkaline baking soda can absorb and neutralize the acid. Even in that regard, it is not all that effective because, as the powder in the box contacts water vapor, it tends to crust over an lose a great deal of its already limited surface activity.
It all sounds quite nice, but it does not work very well. Far better would be a canister of activated charcoal because it can indeed adsorb vapors that contact the charcoal.
ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
More to Explore
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on July 29, 2016 at 12:02:25 PM on 10.0.2.251 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us