Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Too Much Mayonnaise in Macaroni Salad

If you use too much mayonnaise in a macaroni salad how do you take out the overkill of the mayonnaise with out adding more macaroni?

Barbara from Sealy, TX

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By nita verma (Guest Post)09/15/2007

You can add more boiled veggies or just cubed boiled potatoes,
which will absorb the mayonnaise.

By Sharon from Bonita (Guest Post)09/15/2007

Take about a cup of the macaroni out of the salad and run some water over it in a strainer. Then, drain it and put it back in.

By Annie Rios Hill [12]09/14/2007

I had the too much mayo happen to me. I quickly grabbed a couple paper towels and kinda gently wiped excess off. It worked for me.
Good luck.

By Julia (Guest Post)09/14/2007

To take up some of that mayonnaise, add saltine crackers. Justin Wilson made the best egg salad using a few hard boiled eggs, and a lot of saltine crackers. I tried it, and my family liked it so well that we continued to make egg salad that way from then on. It reduces the heavy taste of "egg", and certainly extends the salad when you
don't have a lot of eggs. You can't tell the difference.Be sure to use less salt or use the unsalted crackers. HTH

All the Best,
Julia in Orlando, FL

By Sherry Nelson (Guest Post)09/14/2007

Try adding a little mustard if you like mustard to kill the macaroni taste. I always use mustard in mine. Plain yellow type.

By carriescreativekitchen (Guest Post)09/13/2007

I like to add lots of varied veggies. Slice thin or grate them. Although real mayo is eggs, oil, & vinegar, I like to add sliced or diced boiled eggs. I don't like mayo, but since I cook for others more than myself I use it anyway(I like ranch dressing to coat better - Flavor!). Meat such as ham and pepperoni gives it a great flavor. Cheese mini cubes are a great equalizer. Hope this helps. Try using just enough mayo to coat. Most recipes call for too much.

By woofey (Guest Post)09/13/2007

Mix some vinegar and sugar and mix in. This will cut the overwhelming taste of mayo.

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]09/12/2007

OOPS....should have read your post more carefully...you wanted an idea w/o adding more macaroni. Well then hum, perhaps you could take part of the salad and place in a colander and rinse with cold water and add back and then taste. Washing away some of the mayo may make the taste and consistancy right then.

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]09/12/2007

Perhaps just add some more cooked macaroni? I think the idea tho of letting it set covered in the frig overnight would work because the pasta does absorb a lot of the liquid. If you were wanting to serve right away, then you should just add other ingredients. I'm assuming you just don't want too much of a mayo taste, am I right?

By Marge Mayhew [2]09/11/2007

If you'll just allow it to sit in your refrigerator overnight, covered, you will probably be surprised how much of the mayonnaise is absorbed by the macaroni. Often mine is too dry after being made a day earlier and I have to add some to moisten it to our liking.

By Candyce (Guest Post)09/11/2007

Put the macaroni salad in a colander in the sink. Mix it well and let it sit. The extra mayo will drain out the holes. I often do this with salad I buy ready-made as it has too much liquid in it.

By joan pecsek [88]09/11/2007

Add something else: ham, chicken, croutons, celery, diced apples, nuts, etc....