Make Cloth Napkins from Remnants

I love to have tons of dinner napkins, but I do not like the high price on them. I go to Walmart and look through their remnant bin for cheap materials. I just took a remnant home that cost 39 cents and made four dinner napkins out of it. All I did was cut a triangle edge on it. If I had owned a pair of pinking shears, I could have done it much faster. These can be used for all around cleaning and little place mats. I love these little dinner napkins, I make them in smaller sizes than what you would buy at the store for the children and normal if not smaller sizes for me. I am happy with my large collection of dinner napkins.

Also the little remnants of string (from using the pinking shears on the sides of the napkins to keep them from unraveling) can be turned into hair bows by tying them into little ribbons and then gluing them onto some sort of hair clasp.

This picture is a dinner napkin I just brought in and it is not completely dry, but it is one of my favorite materials.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton TN

Homemade napkin.

What about materials? The polyester ones provided by restaurants are not absorbent at all and are no good for wiping up spills or blotting noses or mouths. At restaurants, I ask for paper napkins, because they do the jobs I expect from napkins. I gave up on cloth napkins at home. Robyn, what materials do you use for these napkins? I cut up old T shirts for cleaning rags, but what about the napkins you make?

Hi Bonnie,

I like to use the light kinds, that are cotton, and easily hand washed. I hand wash lots of things and I like them to dry very fast and quick. Some of the materials in the remnant bin will not work because they come apart too easily, or they don't feel good to the touch. I would say choose what you like, try it and if it doesn't work out to your satisfaction, don't use that material again. I never spent more than a few dollars for a remnant most of the time under a dollar. I also recycle clothes for cleaning cloths and such.

Blessings, Robyn

Thank you, Robyn,

Now I can go to Walmart and find assorted materials and play with them till I find whatever cloth feels good. I can't stand the polyester napkins served at restaurants or that the retailers usually sell for us to buy. You are a gem.

Stack of napkins.
Saving Money on Napkins
Crafts Home DecorAugust 2, 2010
Fabric Napkin
Making Fabric Placemats and Napkins
Cloth Napkin
Using Cloth Instead of Paper Products
Linen Napkins and Silverware
Cleaning Linen Napkins
Family Eating Dinner on Table with Linen
Saving Money on Table Linen