Create Extra Freezer Space

To save space and make extra room in my freezer, I remove the supermarket packaging. I cut out the label, and place the product and label, into a clear "snap lock" type sealed bag. The label tells me the item and date. The bag replaced the packaging which I have found to take up about 30-40% of the space.

Also I separate bulk items into portion packs, each portion is separately bagged. By using the labeled bag last I always know content details of the separated bags.

By George D. from Melbourne, Australia

Great idea, I use bread bags and such to reuse heavy plastic, but reusing the label form original package I forgot about. Mu husband always complains that when meat is frozen he doesn't know what it is! I have a side by side fridge/freezer so space is precious! Thank you for the reminder!

Hi. I think this is a great idea I don't tend to buy much freezer food but a very small amount I home cook & freeze so label the food as I freeze, but what I do is when I do my shopping I go through the checkout then as I pack the items I remove the unwanted packaging and leave it in the shop. After all I didn't ask for this and think the supermarkets are to blame for a lot of packaging just to sell their products helen x

Sounds great! Could you tell me a bit more about the snap freezer bags you referred to?

And what a thrill to see that the idea came from OZ I also live in the "land down under" God bless.

It's a great idea to use ziplock bags, as the boxes some foods come in don't do so well in the freezer, plus you get much more space. Organization is the key! From another 'Aussie'.

In theory, this sounds nice - having extra space in the freezer. But the reality is that you are doubling the amount of waste that is being sent to landfills, which is completely irresponsible. In order to keep clutter out of my freezer: I take inventory weekly and use various recipe websites (like to run searches based on ingredients. I keep my freezer stock rotating on a regular basis.

Organizing Your Cross-Top Freezer, Picture of an organized freezer.
Organizing Your Freezer
Food and Recipes Freezing AdviceJanuary 26, 2010
Defrosting Your Freezer
Defrosting Your Freezer
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
canning beef
Canning Beef
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread