Homemade Ketchup Came Out Watery

I made the following recipe for ketchup and it came out too thin/watery. What can I add to thicken it? The only thing I did different was that I used 1 TB of tomato sauce instead of 2 heaped TB of tomato puree.

• 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 2 heaped TB tomato puree
  • 3 TB cider vinegar
  • a little salt to taste

Any ideas for thickening this? Thanks in advance!

Maryeileen from Brooklyn OH

Don't add any thing. Simmer it until you get the thickness that you want.

Add a dab of tomato paste; that should thicken it a little.

Just cook it longer.

I guess I should have said that the recipe did not say to cook it; just to whizz it all in a blender. So, I will try to cook it and see what happens. Also, I used tomato sauce because I did not have tomato puree or tomato paste.

Hi I have been making and canning my own ketchup for years. Regardless of whether you can it for later use or want to use it right away you have to use what the ingredients call for. Tomato paste is a thickener. Try adding some paste and cook it on low stirring until it thickens. Sauce is very different from paste.

I would say simmer it as well without adding anything. I do my tomatoes from the garden and at each thickness, take off and process what I want from tomato juice to sauce to paste. Just a matter of cooking it thicker ON LOW.

Try cooking on low in the crock pot. Saves a lot of stirring. Just check occasionally until it is as thick as you want it to be.

The commercial catsup companies came out with an all-natural sugar-free product some years ago that did not sell well. They discovered that the sugar gave a slightly scorched and carmelized flavor that people had to have. They simmer catsup for long times to do a reduction. Crockpots for home batches work well.

I would add that you should cook it with the lid off. The lid would cause steam and excess liquid. Cook on low. Crockpot is great.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Today I cooked it on low for awhile, and added a little bit of bottled ketchup and just a touch of Karo syrup and it came out great. I've got french fries in the oven now so I can use some!

Fresh tomatoes surrounding three bottles of homemade ketchup.
Homemade Ketchup Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesOctober 15, 2008
Ketchup Spilled on Carpet
Removing Ketchup Stains on Carpet
Pouring Ketchup
Tips for Pouring Ketchup Faster
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Cranberry Ketchup
Cranberry Ketchup Recipes
🎉
🎄