Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum

How do I clean my carpet if I don't have a vacuum cleaner?

Claudia from Englewood, OH

I've swept my carpet before, seriously! When I didn't have one for a small time. Sweep (gets up the hair at least) then maybe some sticky tape to grab that up. Or get one of those cheap carpet sweepers, the ones that aren't electric that you roll on the carpet. If it's a small area, rubber gloves (like the yellow kitchen ones with the raised nubs) work great to pick up stray hairs (on your couch too). Hope that helps!

You'll be surprised that you could buy one from goodwill for like $5 in good condition, try them.

We too swept our carpet. When we were first married, we were in a tiny apartment and couldn't justify buying a vacuum for our tiny one-bedroom/living room ONLY. Now that we have six kids and live in a house about 2100 sq ft, we still use the broom to sweep the corners and edges of the walls! It works GREAT! I also use a Swiffer Sweeper for small crumby messes like crushed up crackers. It works well for small meses.

Hie thee to a thrift shoppe, they have many for cheepie.

Get one of the stiff bristled push brooms. They do a decent job. I lived out in the country for 8 years with no utilities and learned to do lots

This is what we did when I was a kid. We had a bucket with water in it, a broom and some salt. You sprinkle salt on the carpet. Dip the broom in water. This is to keep dust at a minimum. The salt helps with that, too. And then just sweep the carpet.

Take your rug out side and bring the broom with you, hang the carpet over something, so that it is hanging down, this could be a tree branch or clothes line. Beat away at the carpet and the dust will start coming out. This will do wonders for you if you are angry. It only works if it is a dust problem.

Many thanks to all of you who sent your ideas in for me. How nice you all are and all the ideas were/are helpful. Happy New Year! I love this website!! Claudia in Englewood

It might seem funny and my fiance is the one who actually taught me this. . . take a latex glove and sweep your carpet with your hand. It really gets up a lot of the dirt and small things that get stuck in the fibers of the carpet. It takes a little while and it is a little bit of work, but it works great! I even do it sometimes before I vacuum to bring ground in dirt to the top. It is also a really good arm work out!

No Vacuum? Check out some thrift stores to get one. It's much easier than getting on your hands and knees with rubber gloves and then sweeping it all up.

Wow-this is incredibly helpful right now, I'm glad I stumbled upon this! Thank you!

Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetJanuary 10, 2008
Robot Vacuum
Robot Vacuum (Roomba) Reviews
Frozen Veggies
Storing Vacuum Sealed Food
Vacuum Cleaner Cover
Making a Vacuum Cleaner Cover
Man Steam Cleaning a Carpet
Saving Money on Carpet Cleaning
🎉
🎄