Use Soda Pop Bottle for Clogged Drains

I read through several tips to see if this one had been submitted. I was helping my friend clean a bathroom that had a clogged basin drain. It probably had kitty litter, aquarium gravel, hair and who-knows-what-all down it.

After the two of us polished off half a two-liter bottle of diet pop (on purpose to empty it!), I filled it with water, matched the opening of the bottle to the drain opening and mashed the bottle firmly.

It worked! I re-did it several times until the bottle was all caved in. I then put the stopper in the sink and filled it with soapy water several times, then pulled the plug out and let it run out as fast as it could. This didn't cost anything and the bottle is recyclable. Hope this helps,

By Aunt Sharon from Tom Bean, TX

Wow! This is one Amazing tip! It's funny how the simplest things can be made into wonderful ideas by a brilliant mind! Thanks for taking the time to post this for us mere mortals (that aren't quite as quick thinking!) Great idea!

Strangely logical, once you think about the fact that soda pop is acid-based. Also a great way to use up flat soda no one wants to drink, lol!

A shop vac will also work if you hold a rag against the overflow if it's a bathroom drain.

Sink drain with water running into sink.
Clearing a Clogged Kitchen Sink Drain
Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingSeptember 4, 2009
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
Hair Clogging Drain
Preventing Clogged Drains
🎉
🎄