Making Sauerkraut With Frozen Cabbage

Can I make sauerkraut using frozen cabbage?

By Judy from St. James, MN

No. Frozen cabbage has already been damaged to some extent. Sauerkraut is a fermentation process which takes place over some days, and I have no doubt you'd have a really smelly mess on your hands.

If you mean the cabbage was frozen in the field, and the inner head is not frozen, you can use any part not frozen. Sauerkraut is fermented at about 70 degrees so you'd have to be able to keep it at that temperature. Not hotter, not colder. A heated kitchen is good.

Ok, so I have a question. I had 5 cabbage given to me and I made 24 jars last year of sauerkraut and it was amazing. I do not have time to make it right now so I blanched and froze the cabbage in baggies. When I come back, can I use it in a stone crock pot and make my sauerkraut? I do not know what else to do with it.

Frozen Cabbage
Using Frozen Cabbage
Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceFebruary 1, 2010
Storing Cabbage
Storing Cabbage
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
A plate of Polish Bigos
Recipes Using Sauerkraut
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage