Recipe For Tomato Sauce Using Garden Tomatoes

I am looking for a recipe for a tomato sauce using fresh tomatoes from my garden. Any ideas?

Just cut the tomatoes in quarters and cook until soft,then strain in a colander and put the juice back in the pot and add any seasoning that you like.Cook over low heat just so they boil and don't stick to the bottom of the pan.It may take a while until it thickens.Put in jars and put in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.Take jars out and let cool.

Just tasted one in a fresh herb class I attended over the weekend. Take fresh tomatoes, blanch for about 30 seconds to take off the skin, take core out (although I think cores are fine in fresh garden tomatoes), dice. Add a little olive oil, salt and pepper and finely julienned basil. Place in the bottom of a bowl and add hot pasta, toss and waa laa! Heaven in a plate. The blanching helps to soften just a touch, the salt brings out the moisture and the basil compliments the tomatoes. No cooking (except for the pasta) and it's wonderful!

Here is how I do it.

I cut my tomatoes in half for faster cooking. Put them in the pot over medium heat and cover. When they are boiling I lover the heat to low. When the tomatoes are separated from their skin they are ready, however the longer you cook it the tastier the sauce will be. Sometimes I start in the morning and cook it till dinner time.

Next I pour the tomatoes into a strainer placed over a pot ant push the tomato paste through with a potato musher until only skin and seeds remain. Discard seeds.

Now I got the base of my sauce. If it is too thick I add water.

Next I add seasoning: basil, oregano, parsley, cilantro, salt, garlic, honey and the crunchy diced parts: onion, peppers.

Variation: meat sautéed separately, mushrooms sautéed separately etc.

Cook the sauce with the seasonings for ~30-45 min and add the crunchy part for the last 10 min so they will stay crunchy. I love garlic, so I add fresh garlic to my sauce after cooking it. This way I have cooked and fresh garlic taste. Hmmmmmmmmmm, Yum!

Taste it. The sauce should be too strong, too spicy because the pasta is bland. Add more seasonings if you have to and cook for 5 more minutes

All the Best,

My Italian chef friend taught me to make a very easy tomato sauce. Wash, cut and cook tomatoes. Add small can of tomato paste. Add seasonings. I use basil, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and a little sugar. Cook and season until it is the consistance and the taste that you like. You may add more paste if the sauce seems thin. This sauce may be canned or just can the uncooked cut tomatoes and then make the sauce as you need it.

I add grated carrots to my sauté of olive oil, onions, garlic, etc. That way, I don't need sugar. Then I add the tomatoes and seasoning. Sometimes I leave it in my slow cooker all day.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Garden Fresh Tomato Sauce

Recipe By :"The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever"

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Crockpot Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

3 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes -- peeled & chopped (3 1/2 to 4)

1 can tomato paste -- (6 oz)

1/2 cup dry white wine

1 large red onion -- chopped

1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

4 large garlic cloves -- minced

2 tsp basil

1/4 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp kosher salt -- or sea salt

1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

1/2 tsp sugar -- or to taste

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

In 3 1/2 or 4 qt crockpot mix together tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, onion, oil, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW heat for 4 to 4 1/2 hrs. Stir in sugar, vinegar and fresh basil. Increase heat setting to HIGH & cook, uncovered, 1/2 hr longer to thicken sauce slightly. Makes about 7 cups of sauce.

"7 cups"

PUTTANESCA SAUCE: Along with the sugar, vinegar and basil, stir in 1/4 cup drained capers and 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olives

I slice tomatoes into 1/4 slices and add a drizzle of olive oil, kosher salt, lots of garlic and basil and oregano. I put them in a low oven on a baking sheet for several hours until the tomatoes start to shrivel up and soften. When they have roasted and are somewhat brown and definitely shrivelly, whiz them up in a food processor and serve over pasta. It's really good and a nice way to use up excess tomatoes!

Photo of a pan with homemade spaghetti sauce in it.
Making Spaghetti Sauce With Fresh Tomatoes
Food and Recipes Recipes SaucesAugust 15, 2007
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
A pot of tomato sauce being cooked.
Tomato Sauce Recipes
How To Start Tomato Seeds
Starting Tomato Seeds
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes