Disposable Versus Cloth Towel Adult Bibs

Due to a neurological disease my husband must wear a bib while eating due to drooling and food drop. I now make bibs and we use, wash, and dry about 21 bibs a week. They quickly become stained and ragged looking.

I can cut trash bags in half and use the tie for around his neck and dispose in the trash after eating. The towel bibs are lots of work compared to plastic bibs, but the plastic bibs have to go to the land fill and I don't like that either. So, which way is the way to go on this problem?

By perplexed from central IL

Make very simple bibs. They don't have to look like the ones purchased in a store. Use a hand towel or washcloth if you want it smaller and sew on something to tie them on. Select dark colors so stains don't show. Use a wide athletic shoelace cut in half. Use homemade bibs at home and use your disposable ones when you go out. Good compromise.

I make half aprons for myself this way. I use a kitchen towel held the long way east to west, and sew on the half shoelace on the upper end corners.

Have you considered making a simple bib with bias binding around the neck with lengths at each end for ties using layers of the heavy duty paper towels used in shops(Home Depot carries them by the roll). Layer several towels on on top of the other, cutting to shape for the neck, sandwich them in the bias tape and stitch. As one is soiled, cut or tear it off. You could have a plastic bottom layer to prevent soak through. This would be for make your own disposables of course.

You could try making bibs out of leather. I have seen baby bibs made out of leather, nice smooth wipeable leather, and they look great. Maybe you could treat them to keep the stains off. Try looking online for ideas, Etsy for example. Hope this helps!

You might consider buying those flannel backed tablecloths then cut it up to make your bibs. They can be handwiped clean or you can pop them in your laundry machine. When I used to make them for my baby and toddler, I made a pocket in them to catch anything which might get on their clothes. I edged them with bias tape. It's great that you're environmental, but there are times you just need to do what's necessary for your family. Hope this helps.

Auto section (Costco or other) wonderful large package of towels made from miracle cloth. Wash well, clean beautifully, comfortable, absorbent, strong and look just fine. Very inexpensive. You would need a neck ribbon, chain, or strap with clips. Bless you for the good care of your hubby.

Health & Beauty AdviceNovember 27, 2010
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Washable Wiping Squares
Reusable Toilet Paper (Cloth Wiping Squares)
disposable razor
Uses for Disposable Razors
Cleaning Baby Clothes and Bibs
Cleaning Baby Clothes and Bibs
🎄