Window Air Conditioner Trips Circuit Breaker

Lightening hit my Direct TV dish and ran through the house affecting 2 boxes. I had them replaced by Direct TV.

Come to find out my air conditioning (central heat/air) was hit too. The control panel has two or three burn spots on it. We are using a window unit. It surges and causes the living room electricity to trip. What is going on? Is this all connected or is the window unit using too much current? Help.

By conniecrass from Smyrna, TN

Get an expert to check out the electrical system. You can't tell how much damage was done by the lightening. The charge ran through more than just two boxes, it ran through your whole house. Don't use any electrical appliance that shows signs of fire or burn marks and check all outlets and places that electricity enters or exits your home. Don't risk a fire.

Thenicholas is right. We were hit. All we heard was a small ding from our phone (it always gets hit) and that second of sound announced $7,000 worth of damage; TV, VCR, our kids BBS units (before internet), phones and lines. It came through both the phone and the electrical lines. I'd get it checked soon and please do not use the air conditioner until you have it checked. It's probably toast unfortunately. It isn't worth taking a chance and finding out your home is in flames.

As a few other posters said--get an electrician out there ASAP; if there are burn marks on the breaker box, you've got major problems.

I had an electrician do some work at my house, and he put a 220 line in for a window unit I have in a room that once was a lanai. I didn't realize I needed a 220 line for the window unit, and he was actually here for other reasons, so I'm glad he did that for me. I'm surprised to hear that Direct TV doesn't provide some kind of protection in case lightening strikes their unit. I live in FL, and I have been thinking of getting Direct TV. Our cable bills here are extremely high, but after reading these posts, I don't think I will get Direct TV. We have far too much lightening here.

Home and Garden Repair OtherAugust 14, 2009
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
Window Air Conditioner
Winterizing a Window Air Conditioner
electrician working on breaker box
Installing a New Circuit Breaker
breaker box
Pool Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker