Use Oils As Treatment for Head Lice

When my kids were young, head lice plagued the school system and my long haired children. My kids are Hispanic and Native American so cutting the hair was out of the question. I do not use chemicals and stories about them not working, costing a fortune, and causing damage just reinforced my choice not to go that route.

Tea tree oil is a popular homeopathic deterrent, and coconut shampoo and conditioner is also recommended. Always treat bedding, mattress, stuffed animals and winter coats and hats/scarves. Things that can go into the dryer -DO IT. Bag stuffed animals, because the dryer can ruin beautiful materials the toys are made of.

I am not fond of tea tree oil's smell especially when you send your child to school smelling like a medicine chest. I used cinnamon oil to improve the smell. Always mix only 2 drops into a quart of water. Never make it stronger or cinnamon oil will irritate skin. But I found that a light mist on the hair and spritzing the coats and hats eliminated the head lice plague!

Of course, use caution! I think food grade cinnamon powder would also work. Dust items in a garbage bag, sparingly and mix some in hot water for the spray bottle.

Compared to expensive and caustic chemicals, it works fantastically. Very inexpensive, very effective, and very Natural. The bottle of cinnamon oil did my kids for years and I shared it with others plagued by the insects. No one ever complained about the smell.

Between occurrences use coconut shampoo and conditioner and continue to maintain the bedding, pillows, and stuffed animals. You may never hear the words "head lice" again.

By Linda from Flint, MI

I think tea tree oil is the most used product in my medicine cabinet. I continually find more things to use it on. I've also heard so many good things about coconut oil, which I've just bought and can hardly wait to start using.

Wish I'd known about this a few years back. I ended up shaving my children's heads... my daughters looked like Sinead O'Connor that summer.

I am about to switch over to coconut oil after an expet on the autism website sent in an article on its benefits of topical use, reducing fever and many other skin uses and such. I am going to to research it further. Also I am going to put the cinnamon powder in some water and spray..and also the Tea tree oil is something I am going to try, the kids came home from VBS full of lice.

Someone using a nit comb on a child's hair.
Getting Rid of Head Lice
Parenting General ParentingMay 20, 2010
Woman scratching her dry scalp.
Homemade Dry Scalp Treatments
Mother Nits out of Her Daughters Hair
Preventing Head Lice
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Beautiful drapes.
Saving Money on Drapes, Blinds and Window Treatments