Using Cat Litter for a Rabbit

Can I use cat litter for a rabbit?

By Nancy from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Yes, as long as it is the "old-fashioned" clay litter. I would be leery of scents, etc. Rabbits sometimes pass partially digested food, which they re-ingest and re-digest; so I would be fearful of chemicals in the scents, etc.

I am not sure about the clumping litter?

What about Feline Pine? I've mentioned it in other posts, but it's just compressed sawdust or something like that, it breaks down when potty-ed on. Check out their site and maybe ask them on their contact form about it. For awhile they were running a promotion of buying so many bags, sending in the upcs and maybe receipts, and getting a free bag.

I know Target sells it, not sure about Walmart. Also they're having a call in thing where if you call the number, they'll send you a scoop and something else. If you want I can find the number for you, message me if you want it. Good luck, Leslie

My friend used regular cat litter for her rabbit and it worked really well. Don't use the clumping or scented litter.

Feline Pine clumping is a finely ground up pine similar to what the rabbit pine curls already are and the rabbit one is much cheaper to use.

I would stick to the regular clay litter and it would not hurt to call your vet and ask the tech who answers the phone. I have called many times just to ask general questions and the staff often are very helpful and it costs nothing. =) Plus they often have many pets of their own and are willing to share experience with you.

Please DO NOT use clay litter. It contains a lot of dust, and with their mouths and noses so close to the ground, they will inhale it. Yesterday's News is the litter recommended by the House Rabbit Society. You can find it in the the cat litter aisle. It is made from recycled newspapers.

What to Use for Bunny Litter
Pets Rabbits AdviceMarch 23, 2009
Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter