Underwater Picture Scene Ideas

My Homecoming dance theme this year is Underwater and I've been elected chair person of the picture scene. We don't really focus a whole lot on the dance floor itself with decoration because its dimly lit, so the picture scene is the biggest deal. I was wondering if anyone has any good idea or tips for creating a cute picture scene without spending too much on an outrageous kit that isn't too cute once you get it =). I've done one or two picture scenes in my time I might add.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Hannah from Council Bluffs, IA

I would first get some paper on a roll and draw pictures of fish, sea creatures and plants and coral. Your school library should have some great books to refrence from. Then paint first block in with the base colors and then use a sponge to add texture to your piece. Since this is for a dance I would high light parts with some glitter just enough to add a little "Bling". When this is done and hanging on the wall you could get some blue and green cellophane on rolls and cut it to a length the height of the wall, then tear each strip into wavy pieces. If possible hang from the ceiling about 5-6 inches in front of picture other wise attatch to the top of the picture.

On the fantasy underwater side, you could try an Atlantis theme. The lost underwater world. With crumbling columns (papermache). How about a seachest for the lady to sit on or the young man to rest his leg on?

A fun thing to do with the rolls of blue craft paper is mix a little white paint with bubble mix and blow bubbles onto the paper. It's a cool "water" effect. Ask your art teacher. These are fun, inexpensive water effects he or she would know.

Maybe you could get some art class students to help with the scene.

Have fun, don't let it get too stressful. Be sure and post a picture.

I reckon I'm crazy from beginning a diet! I first thought-- Sponge Bob and his home under the sea!

Do a great job-- and don't forget the posed portrait place.

good luck

I think that blue and green crepe paper hanging against the wall and use helium fish balloons weighted from the floor to give a 3D swimming effect would be quick, easy and cheap. Maybe you could steal some idea's from these http://www.twintownevents.com/theme_undersea.html

http://www.partycheap.com/SpongeBob ... om_Wall_backdrop_2_Pkg_p/n679505.htm

http://www.uniquelyquince.com/Catal ... 30/blnFromPackView/0/iParentId/37736

Maybe the art department could make something like this? http://www.wallsofthewild.co.uk/underwater-theme-murals.htm

Get ideas from these birthday parties THE BEST OF

I hung jellyfish" from the "ceiling" of the tents. The jellyfish were paper lanterns (from the dollar store) that I only opened halfway and glued party streamers from the bottom. they really did look like jellyfish!

use rolls of the blue Saran Wrap for an underwater look

For decorations I hung a fish net I got from a party store and decorated it with balloon fish and octopus. Easy to make by using marker to make eyes, mouth etc. then used tagboard to make tail fins and eight legs of octopus, then in center of each board poked a hole and pulled the knotted end of balloon through. Really turned out cute. Lots more helium filled balloons and streamers

blue tarp for the floor to carry the background theme

You could decorate ice chests to look like treasure chests that would be strong enough to sit on.

Use a Green Netting from Walmart and draped it from the ceiling creating a seaweed effect.

Background from Oriental trading

http://www.orientaltrading.com/appl ... ESIGN-A-ROOM+PIRATE+OCEAN+BACKGROUND

Table decorations you could use live gold fish in a small 99 cent store bowl.

Hope this helps - let us know what you decided to do and post some photo's after the event.

I am thinking of the art project called 'a stained glass window'. Cheap and easy to make.

Make a giant frame of black cardboard.

Take 2 sheets of wax paper that will fit in the cardboard frame.

Place construction paper fish outlines and kelp and anything with an underwater theme you can think of and decoratively arrange them on the paper. Glue on 1 side to hold in place. This will be the side that no one can see. Sprinkle crayon shavings over all (maybe to replicate schools of fish). Place the second sheet of wax paper over the first and a cotton towel over all. Take an iron (the kind you use for ironing clothes) and iron on top of the towel, pressing hard so the crayon and wax paper melt. Try low heat at first. When finished, place in the frame with a light source behind it like a stained glass window.

If you need a larger window, you could do various scenes hung vertically or horizontally.

Holidays and Parties Parties School DecorationsAugust 29, 2007
Crafts Using Picture Frames
Crafts Using Picture Frames
Gold picture frame.
Cleaning Picture Frames
Closeup of HDMI Cable
Saving Money on HDMI Cables
hanging snowman decoration
Making a Winter Snowman Scene