Browsing: Removing Fat from Ground Beef

Leaner Hamburger

I have been buying cheap ground meat to save money BUT my husband just got a not so great cholesterol test result back. Instead of paying 3.00-4.00 a pound for 96/4 lean meat, I have been boiling the hamburger meat draining it, boiling a second time, then frying in the frying pan. For recipes that have crumbled hamburger meat in them. By the time the ground meat hits the skillet, it has hardly any fat in it. The boiling water takes most of the fat with it when you boil it.

I have even convinced my husband that hamburgers don't have to be in patties so we can get the benefit of the boiled meat that is crumbly, we just put a little ketchup in the crumbled meat so it will stick and put it on the bun then add condiments on top of that.

By Annie

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

You can also crumble and brown the ground beef and place it in a large colander or strainer and pour a large kettle full of boiling water over the ground beef. Dr. gave us this method when hubbies cholesterol level came back borderline

I use ground turkey instead of ground beef for just about everything now: meatloaf, tacos, etc.

consider sloppy joes. This is meat and onions with a tomato sauce that goes in a bun. It can be made with turkey or beef. You can replace some or all of the meat with chopped beans which contain no cholesterol. We eat too much meat as it is.

I have a meat grinder attachment for my mixer (also have an old fashioned hand grinder, but take the lazy way) lol! I buy up a few lean roasts whenever I find them on sale. Kroger has an English roast that is pretty lean, and they have them on sale quite often for less than $2 a pound. I trim all visible fat off and grind my own hamburger with the lean. However, the fat in the hamburger patty is what makes it juicy and tender. To keep it from being rubbery, I mix it with an egg white and some fresh breadcrumbs or quick oats. I, too, have a cholesterol problem, and am always trying to cook good tasting meals with less saturated fat. As for the ground turkey, just be sure you look at the label for the amount of fat. Yes, turkey is healthier, but not when they grind in all the fat and skin. And most prepackaged turkey is in that category. Again, I buy Turkey Breast when it is on sale, remove the skin, and grind my own. This way I know exactly what I am eating.

Harlean from Arkansas

Re putting grease down drain- we have a septic system too and we also compost so grease cannot go into compost nor can we burn it so I put any leftovers including grease into a coffee can that I keep under sink, covered of course to which I add a little bleach to cut down on odor before I put it out with the trash pick up

when it is full. Hope this helps you. Or even if you cooled it in fridge to point of hardening then double bag it and put in trash instead of down drain.

I have been browning, draining, and rinsing our ground beef for over thirty years. I keep all my empty food jars for this. If I have a plastic peanut butter jar, I let the fat cool and then put it in it with cornmeal and anything birds will eat. When full and it has hardened, I put it out for the birds in the winter. It can be stored in the freezer. Also to you who buy the cheapest ground beef, check how much you are pouring away and you may decide to buy a higher price on with less waste.

Removing Fat from Ground Beef
Removing Fat from Ground Beef
Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatJanuary 26, 2005
Hamburger Slider
Hamburger Slider Recipes
Photo of a hamburger with a homemade bun.
Homemade Hamburger Bun Recipes
Hamburger Jerky Recipes
Hamburger Jerky Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 4:16:28 AM on 10.0.0.227 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.