Save Glass Jars for Homemade Iced Tea

Use spaghetti sauce jars in the summer as tea jars. They are just the right size. Most people like to drink their cold ice tea from a jar in the south.

By tami333 from Auburn, GA

Drinking tea isn't the only thing glass jars are good for. I've been using my "special" glass jar for years for beer.

Glass jars are way good for other reasons too. Can be micro-waved, heated in the oven, store dry ingredients -- and much more. Our elders knew what they were doing.

Save money, calories and chemicals going into your body by re-purposing store-bought glass tea jars for homemade ice tea. Clean the bottles after you're finished with your drinks (or get friends to give you some), then make a big batch of tea on the stove by boiling water and adding the tea bags to steep. I add some honey to mine and then when it cools down, I pour it into the glass bottles.

I keep these in the fridge (make caffeine-free and caffeinated ones separately) and grab when I'm going out the door. I save money on the tea, limit calories of a caffeinated soda, and don't have to ingest all those chemicals that come from a soda!

By Erin from Blue Bell, PA

Answers:

Save Glass Jars for Homemade Iced Tea

What an excellent suggestion! Glass is great. And no chemicals from the plastic bottled,either. (03/27/2009)

By Cathy S

Save Glass Jars for Homemade Iced Tea

I've been doing this for about 3 years, putting them into my husband's lunchbox. It is about the cheapest drink I can give him other than water, he doesn't even sweeten his tea. For a change of pace, I'll add an herbal tea bag to the regular or green tea ones. Sometimes, I'll add some mint from my garden. He's not gotten tired of it yet. It tastes so much better than the bottled tea drinks you buy. If you're feeling really adventurous, mix the tea with fruit juice. (03/27/2009)

By susanmajp

Save Glass Jars for Homemade Iced Tea

I love this idea. How long do they taste "fresh"? (Just trying to figure out how many I would make at a time.) (04/02/2010)

By Jilson

Save Glass Jars for Homemade Iced Tea

I remember when my daughter-in-law looked into our kitchen cupboard for a glass and found only small jars.
She said where are your glasses, and my daughter and I both laughed and said at the same time: "those ARE our glasses". We had lots of small children at the time and I've never been fond of plastic so we used small jars for the kids to drink out of during the day and if one broke, oh, well. Glasses were saved for dinner. (04/02/2010)

By PIKKA

Save Glass Jars for Homemade Iced Tea

You can also add juice if you want a different flavor. Experiment with adding water until you get the same consistency as the bottled drinks. (04/02/2010)

By fletc3her