Separating Plastic Drinking Cups

When plastic cups are stacked one inside of the other they sometimes get stuck together. This is a guide about separating plastic drinking cups.

April 28, 2005 Flag

I have a plastic cup stuck inside another plastic cup, and I have tried putting cold water as well as hot water in them, but cannot get them apart. I would appreciate and tps anyone has.

CarolynJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Tried the cold water and hot water and it did not do so I ran hot water into the bottom glass and took a pointed knife, and gentley pried between the two for about a 1/4 inch and it worked great.

Worked like a charm....except I didn't run hot water on the outside plastic glass....I ran hot water into the sink and placed the glasses standing up in the water water for a few seconds and they happily released from each other.

Two plastic bowls stuck together. No ice. But I did have a bag of frozen peas in the freezer. I put the bag of peas in the inside bowl for a few minutes, then upended the bowls and ran hot tap water over the outside bowl. Voila! The inside bowl dropped right out!

Worked n 30 secs .thank you so much .

I filled the top cup with ice left in it in the freezer for 5 min and then placed the cups in hot water for a few seconds, then twist came right apart.

It worked ice in the cup and hot water in a larger cup for a few seconds, then a twist they came apart.

I tried the ice and hot water but it didnt work, this was much faster! I put WD-40 around the bottom stuck cup and it pulled right apart.

Angela

I bought 4 Tupperware cups at a tag sale. I didn't realize they were stuck. Tried the ice water on top and hot water on the bottom. Didn't work with four.

BUT then I did the freezer then dryer trick. First two separated, put the last two cups back in the freezer, dryer again and worked like magic! Thx

I just hairdryed the outer cup for 30 seconds ensuring the air didnt go in the inner cup and pulled quite easily. Saved faffing around with ice cubes!

July 27, 2009 Flag

How do you pull apart two plastic tumblers, that are stuck together?

By MARPFAR from Leominister, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If there's any gap between the two tumbler lips, trickle warm water into that area. The water may act as a buffer and lubricant. Wiggle the two tumblers in opposing directions. You could also submerge the two tumblers in warm water (dishwater worked for me,) and try this same technique.

Try putting the outside one under hot water (so it expands), & maybe put ice-water in the inter most one (so it contracts).

If they are super-stubborn, grab them with pliers that have masking or duct tape wrapped over the ends so it won't mar the plastic.

Set the outside one in a pot of steaming water on the stove for a bit, remove, and quickly fill the inner one with ice.swirl around for a second or two, and tug!

July 27, 2009 Flag

How do you separate plastic restaurant cups? They were washed and stacked together now they won't come apart.

Barbara from Hickory, OK

Answers:

Separating Plastic Drinking Cups

Put them in the freezer and after they are thoroughly frozen try carefully pulling them apart. (12/22/2008)

By Phillip A. K.

Separating Plastic Drinking Cups

You can try filling the inside one with cold water and dipping the outside one in a sink or bowl of hot water. The heat will expand the outside cup. The cold will contract the inside cup. It should be enough to break the seal. (12/29/2008)

By Guest

Separating Plastic Drinking Cups

The fastest solution might be to use your blow-dryer on the outside cup while trying to loosen the inner cup(s), which might take another person helping you. (12/29/2008)

By NokomisNims

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Other DishesJuly 19, 2016
An insulated cup with a reusable plastic drinking straw.
Cleaning Plastic Drinking Straws
Disposable Plastic Cup
Reusing Disposable Plastic Cups
Reusing Keurig K-Cups
Reusing Keurig K-Cups
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 6:17:09 AM on 10.0.1.151 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.