Storing Brown Sugar in the Freezer

Can brown sugar be stored in the freezer?

Sharon from Minneapolis, MN

I do it but I double wrap in plastic bags that are sealed well.

Why would you need to store brown sugar in the freezer? I have had brown sugar for a very long time, and it kept. I just make sure it is in a container that is sealed tight.

I was raised doing that very thing and still do. I put sugar (brown and white), flour and cornstarch all in the freezer.

It was my assumption that we did that to keep the bugs away (if their ever were any that is) and nearly 55 years later I still to it to this day and have yet to see a bug in any of it.

I just stick a piece of bread in the opened bag, and it keeps fine. You can also soften up brown sugar by microwaving it for a several seconds.

Teena

Three or four months ago I bought for $3 or $4.00 at the grocery store a piece of ceramic to keep brown sugar moist. I put this piece of ceramic in the bag after I opened it, and insert the bag in another plastic bag well sealed. It seams to work, last week, after three months, I re-opened the bag for another recipe, and it was still moist. I will buy another one to keep my raw sugar moist, which always hardens, whatever I do.

AG, Ontario, Canada

Food and Recipes Freezing AdviceDecember 4, 2007
Brown Sugar
Making Brown Sugar
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 16, 2017 at 7:18:51 PM on 10.0.2.37 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.