Light Icing Recipe for Cakes

Recently some folks have brought bakery sheet cakes to various functions. I am in love with the new or alternate icing choice many of them bring. In the past these cakes were loaded with the sickening, sweet, slick, Crisco/powdered sugar version of decorator icing. Now, they often have a light, chilled topping instead. It does not appear to be a Cool Whip type product alone, but it might be Cool Whip mixed with something else. It is a light, cool refreshing taste. Does anyone have the recipe?

Grandma Margie from The Show Me State - Missouri

Try this one:

Cool Whipped Frosting

1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix with milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Gently fold in whipped topping until no streaks remain. Spread evenly over cake.

I wonder if you can use chocolate pudding mix- maybe with the chocolate Cool Whip and get a good light chocolate icing as well.

I'm glad someone asked for this recipe. I am also not crazy about the heavy confectioners sugar frostings. I will add this recipe to my file!

Does it look like regular decorator icing? If so, I believe that it's whipped cream icing. It's made with unflavored gelatin to give it body and doesn't have much sugar in it.

Here's a recipe I got from Taste of Home magazine's website. I've not tried it, but bet it is good.

Whipped Cream Icing

INGREDIENTS:

1 (.25 ounce) package unflavored gelatin

4 teaspoons cold water

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1/4 cup confectioners' sugar

1/2 teaspoon clear imitation vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

Mix gelatin and cold water in a small saucepan, and let the mixture stand until gelatin thickens. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat, and let cool; do not let set.

Whip cream, sugar, and vanilla until slightly thickened. Continue beating slowly, while gradually adding the gelatin. Whip at high speed until stiff.

You might like to try the recipes used for filling in Whoopiie Pies. Go to google.com and look up whoopie pies, bet you will find one you want to try.

One suggestion: I noticed the recipe from the "Taste of Home" site calls for *imitation* vanilla extract. I mean no disrespect here... I've found some good recipes on that site... but I don't have "imitation" vanilla extract in my house. If you like vanilla the fake stuff is a real disappointment. I'm into pinching a penny until Lincoln's nose bleeds, but some things just can't be faked.

They specify "clear" on the imitation...maybe to avoid color changes? Every real vanilla extract I have bought has been dark.

Thank you for the feedback and recipes. Both recipes sound really good and I will try them. Since I don't care if my icing is cream colored instead of snow white I will use real vanilla. I always choose to use REAL products instead of imitation. Real vanilla gives that honest to goodness "homemade" taste everyone loves.

Actually, according to Cooks Illustrated, an extremely reliable source, in the FINISHED product, imitation vanilla is preferred by tasters to pure extract. This is because the imitation has more of the chemical "vanillan." In the finished product vanilla is usually only a very small part of the flavor and so the differences between pure and artificial vanilla are not noticable.

I mix a large Pkg. of instant Pudding wiht only 1/2 the required milk together. then I add a large Pkg of cool whip type topping. its light and not too sweet. Good luck they all love it here. Lawrence inAZ.

It is call non-dairy icing I forget the name of who makes it but you can buy a bucket of at Sam's club. I haven't found anyone who knows the recipe and I have been looking for a year.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cakes Frosting and IcingJune 21, 2006
Royal Icing Recipes
Royal Icing Recipes
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
Fondant cake.
Decorating Cakes With Fondant
Thomas the Tank Cake
Making Character Cakes
🎄