A Healthier Alternative To Mayo

Instead of mayo, instead of Miracle Whip, I have found a healthier alternative. In short, I tried hummus at a restaurant, and it was excellent. It's basically beans. I bought a package that you reconstitute with cold water. I have used it as an alternative to the aforementioned spreads. It did better than OK. And it was healthy, not fat laden. By the way, the last time I was going to buy a lower cal version of Miracle Whip, I read the label. Transfatty acids! Naturally, I did not buy it! Phooey on them.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Humus comes in dried bean form?

You know, you might be right, but the thought of HUMUS reminds me too much of foreign food, which reminds me too much of the MIddle East war, which causes me to lose my appetite! lol

Seriously, though, I find myself using Salsa, Ketchup,Relishes, or non-fat Salad Dressings IF I ever make sandwiches anymore. I am trying to get used to lettuce, cabbage and spinach WRAPS, instead, along with the glutten-free Pita bread to stuff, IF I can afford them and any fillings. My weight can stand more reduction in every area, especially to better match up with my limited budget. lol God bless you. : )

Yes, hummus also comes in a dry form which has to be reconstituted. Not as good as the fresh stuff, but very handy for the kitchen pantry. Of course, you can also doctor it up with additions.

I bought Casbah brand.

It comes in other brands, too.

Hummus is very easy to make from scratch too. Here is a recipe on ThriftyFun and there are tons of different versions online.

http://www.thri  f378129.tip.html

Jess

LindaGayle62 wrote:

"You know, you might be right, but the thought of HUMUS reminds me too much of foreign food"

It may be foreign, but at least it's not the typical fried & fatty food us Americans seem to be addicted to.

Hummus is great, and goes really well with fresh sliced red pepper. I use it as a substitute for anything from cream cheese (bagels), mayo (sandwiches) to cheese (grilled quesadillas) - The powdered form is handy; just be sure you don't limit your reconstitution efforts to only water. Try adding some minced garlic and maybe even a dash of cayenne pepper!

Also, don't forget to add some olive oil ... This will help the texture tremendously!