Buying Bulk Spices

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy spices in bulk?

By patticake69 from Columbus, OH

We have two health food stores in our area that sell groceries and other health items. They have a very good assortment of herbs and spices and thats where I get most of mine. They are so much cheaper than the grocery store

I found a zipcode for Columbus, Ohio. There is a Costco, the address is as follows:

1500 Gemini Place

Columbus, Ohio

43240

There is also Bj's Wholesale Club, Sam's Club. Give them a call and see if they sell bulk spices. If you aren't a member of one of these clubs, it would probably be worth your while to talk to customer service and see if you can get a complimentary pass to shop in their store at least one time.

I used to be a member of Bj's Wholesale Club and I was able to buy bulk spices. These aren't the small containers, but the restaurant sizes.

Our local Winco sells spices in bulk as well as the Fred Meyer (which is owned by Kroger).

Online also, there is an herb company in SF, CA that is awesome! Just make sure that you use the spices quickly, buying them in bulk saves money but in the long run, your food taste will suffer.

Buying spices and herbs in bulk, sorry to say, is one thing that is not a bargain. Unless, as one person already said, you are using them in a short time. The flavor, fragrance, etc., Will suffer, as will your enjoyment, and when fresh, normally it does not take a lot to give a satisfactory result. Save everywhere else, not there.

The best I have found is the San Francisco Herb Co. I think their products are superior. Also, the price is right. They have a website: http://www.sfherb.com/

We have two places in Hot Springs that sell spices in bulk. You do not have to buy large amounts. They charge by the ounce. One is a health food store, and the other is a restaurant supply store. I buy cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, cumin, cream of tartar, and many other spices at a fraction of the grocery store prices. If you must buy larger amounts, just keep a small container in the cupboard, and put the rest in a double paper bag and clip shut and store in the freezer.

Harlean from Arkansas

Penzeys.com sells in bulk up to 8 oz. or 1# or so and I'm sure they'd sell you more if you need. I get unusual and single chile spices from there a couple times a year. Otherwise, I go to my local health food store.