Product Review: Riddex Plug-in Repeller

Product: Riddex Plug-in Pest Repeller

Cost: $29.95 for 2

I got 2 of these and plugged them in, one above the dogs' dishes and one above the kitchen counter. I never saw any difference in the number of bugs crawling around. After about 2 months, I went to unplug the one above the dogs' dishes and it went flying! The back of the unit itself was covered in roaches!

I had my husband unplug the other one, and it had the same story! I called the Riddex company and they refused to give me a refund, but told me they would send me two new ones! What, do they think I'm nuts? I told them where they could shove their Riddex's and the bugs that they attract instead of repelling! In no uncertain terms either!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

I'm sorry to say I bought one of these a couple of months ago. I haven't checked it, but I guess I better do so when I get home today! Thanks for the info.

I, too fell for this many years ago. Since then I've learned and I hope everyone will remember this. Bugs are attracted to electronic or electric vibrations. An exterminator told me this and also told me that these plug-ins were a joke. I hope this experience will help others, they don't repel mice either.

Me too, only I bought 4 of them because we keep doors closed in each room. What a farce/scam. I caught 6 mice in the old fashioned traps, 4 of which were within 2 feet of the Riddex thing! And they did nothing for bugs either. I still had flies, a wasp, and some kind of black "beetle".

Bonnie V, If you're smart, instead of taking it out of the package and testing it, you'll take it back and get your money back. I wish I had come on here and gotten responses before buying the ones I got.

If the device is attracting bugs, then they're not in the rest of the house.

I have one of these things in my kitchen, and soon as I am done with this, I am going to unplug it, with its green light and flashing red one, and throw it in the trash. I caught a mouse that had gotten in our house by other means. We live near fields that harvest tobacco, corn and something else (cotton, I think). We do occasionally get a mouse in here, especially after harvest.

We also get these giant roach looking bugs. Creepy, scary, gross, and I have a hissy when I see them. I thought a chemical free solution would work, but this is a joke! Glad to see I am not the only one who fell for this. I tried a pest control company a few years ago, and they did NOT work out. The guy put glue traps with peanut butter in it. Sprayed a few inches on the baseboards that were not covered by my couch, and left. Charged me 70 bucks.

Then every two months did that, then pretened to spray the outside. I caught him in a lie, then they double charged me. I told them if they did not put my money back, and cancel my contract with them, not only would I go to the BBB, but I'd contact every consumer advocacy newsteam within a four county radius as well as start bombarding them with calls to their local office and then to their headquarters about their dishonesty. I got my money back (for the double charge) and I got out of my contract four months early.

I now use traps and pesticides. (sigh). However, I am curious: Has anyone used those sprays (often seen at Wal Mart, Home Depot, etc) that come in a jug and you spray on the outside of the home (I think made by Ortho)? Living in rural NC, I do my best to keep my home pest free, but it is not easy.

Boy I don't know what you guys are talking about. I plugged both of mine in and within a few days it looked like St Patrick leading the rats out of Ireland. The greatest thing I have ever seen. Ok, I am kidding. My 86 year old mom bought one and it is stupid.

Hi, all, and to KLS8800 on any feedback on the Ortho exterior spray--we've had pretty good luck with it and it's inexpensive. Here in You Name The Bug, We've Got It ( S. FL) the hubby shoots all around the foundation outside once a month and it's cut down on a lot of the creepy crawlers--even fire ants, and it's not specifically labeled for them.

We make sure to pick a day no rain is predicted, though, so the stuff doesn't run down into the flowerbeds--though we've had no plant damage from it, either.

Also have a tip on those prolific, teeny-tiny "sugar ants" we get a load of down here in the spring and early summer; plain white vinegar in a spray bottle indoors and out helps keep the population of them down--and used coffee grounds sprinkled around on the flowerbeds does the same thing ( and is also supposed to repel a few other garden critters).

I love this site! Get on here looking for one thing and spend hours learning so much more.

I wish I'd seen this earlier. I moved into an apartment 2 months ago, and ever since then, its been non-stop roaches. A guy I work with told me that the plug-ins worked for him, so I bought one and there's been no change in the number of bugs. Naturally, I lost the receipt and package when my mom helped me unpack/clean. Now I'm almost afraid to take it out.

Never bought the Riddex product, but I can tell you that my husband has used the Ortho Home Defense spray. We don't have a roach problem (and hope we never do) but since we live in the mountains of NC, we do have plenty of other bugs. Ants are a big problem with the many trees we live with.

The spray for the outside of the house works fairly well for the ants. We have a problem with crickets inside. We just use Raid Ant and roach spray around water pipes under the sink, and down our stairs to our basement/garage area. I would try the Ortho Home Defense spray for your bugs. It does a reasonable job, and it lasts for months.

Consumer Advice Product Reviews House and HomeMay 20, 2009
woman brushing a cat
Product Review: FURminator
Laundry Drying Outside
Reviews of Wind Fresh Laundry Detergent
two young African American women with curly hair
Product Review: S Curl - Curl Activator
A Garden Journal
Keeping A Garden Journal