Transitioning a Cat Back to Solid Foods

I have a 5 year old cat, Savannah, who was hit by a car and has a broken pelvis and bruised bladder. She is doing well and on the mend. I have had to feed her through syringes since this happened last week. She is alert, responsive and preening herself but still won't eat solid food. I'm thinking the food I offer her might be too much after essentially fasting for days. It's time for her to eat solid foods. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cat food that will be gentle on her system after being on a liquid diet for so long?

By April_m from Carmel, CA

What a beautiful cat! She really looks like a love! OMG tho! Please, please, please, please! Don't look on here for advice in this situation! With her bladder and pelvis problems right now, you should be consulting your vet and no one else! You say it's only been a week since she was hit? That's way too soon to even think about asking anyone on here for advice! Do your cat a huge favor and talk to her vet! Please!

I agree that you should probably consult your vet if you have not already, but I will tell you that our 3 y/o cat recently developed a very serious illness and we thought she was going to die. The vet was not certain what it was even. She stopped eating or drinking and was unable to walk or do anything, but sleep all day. She is much better now, but not completely back to normal. During this time when she finally became more alert I just gave her a teaspoon maybe of tuna chopped up very fine to start off just trying to get her to eat anything. She tolerated that well. Then she, on her own, started eating her regular hard cat food.

So, maybe consider the tuna, just a little, and then later could move to maybe her regular hard food, softening it with warm water until she is able to transition to her regular food. My vet never really gave me any advise on the feeding, but I would still check with yours. Just beware of canned food though. It often can make their stomachs upset. Hope your kitty recovers soon.

A little tuna worked when my kittens were weaned.

Pets CatsJuly 20, 2009
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Infant Cereal
Infant Cereal Tips