Paperwhite Narcissus Bulbs Gift Idea (Under $10)

A thrifty hostess gift for the holiday season can be started at Thanksgiving to be ready for the December holidays.

Buy nice clear glass bowls or wide mouth clear glass vases at dollar store or thrift stores. Layer glass pebbles on the bottom. I use a mix of shimmery colored and shimmery clear glass pebbles. If you know the holiday color scheme of your hostess, you can choose colored pebbles to compliment the color scheme.

Place 3 or more (depends on size of bowl or wide mouth vase) Paperwhite Narcissus bulbs on the glass pebbles. Fill with water, just to the bottom of the bulbs. Keep watered and in a sunny place. Bulbs will root in the water and bloom in time for the holidays. Tie a ribbon with a holiday bow on the bowl or vase before gifting.

Remind the hostess that when the fragrant blooms are finished to plant the bulbs in the garden--they will bloom the next year!

By OGeorgie from Yachats, OR

I will try this. It sounds beautiful. I need to give my sister a couple gifts before Christmas, and she loves flowers, so it sounds perfect. Thanks!

I love to give these too. Also, I can often find packaged amaryllis kits for $3.99. In the South, the bulbs can be forced in the house, & then moved outside. They are beautiful too.

Just this week I heard of a way to keep the bulbs from growing so tall ---mix l part of rubbing alcohol to 10 parts of water. I had heard this several years ago too and plan to do so, otherwise they get top heavy. Marion in MS

Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts FrugalNovember 7, 2008
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
A hand holding an incandescent bulb.
Using Incandescent Bulbs
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Fall crocus bulbs.
Growing Bulbs in Every Season
🎄