AdviceHome Improvement

Controlling the Humidity in a Parked Motor Coach without Electricity

I need some Ideas for our motor coach. it is parked at a permanent camp site, and this year it is holding the humidity in so bad. I can not use a dehumidifier, because we are gone for 1 to 2 weeks at a time so the electricity is off during that time. Please help,

Thanks,
Tracey C

Place open containers of baking soda all around to soak up some of the dampness.

There's a product in little plastic containers for damp areas like cellars & closets. Maybe these would help if you place the proper # of them in the RV. Maybe regular clay kitty litter, not clumping or scoopable, might absorb some of that if put out on trays a few inches thick? Or make some sort of cloth sack filled with the litter & hang or set them around?

I would try putting bowls of regular cat litter around.

THE SAME SOLUTION IN DAMP RID IS IN THE PRODUCT USED TO PUT ON ICE IN THE DRIVEWAY AND MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE. SIMPLE PUT IT IN A STRAINER AS IT ABSORBS WATER IT DECREASES AND THE WATER IS IN THE BOWL UNDERNEATH HOPES THIS HELPS ,

WORKS IN FLORIDA

I also had that problem in our fifth wheel (which I also keep at a seasonal campground).

I found that Damp Rid (comes in buckets) placed all around the trailer helps TREMENDOUSLY. They're not big and can be hidden everywhere. I have 5 in mine (32 feet long), and 1 in the "basement" area as well. They're great at keeping the trailer fresh.

You can buy Damp Rid (and refills) at Home Depot. It also comes in a bag type form that you can hang in a closet. Bed, Bath & Beyond might also carry it.

Leaving a window or two cracked for ventillation also helps.

Cat litter didn't help much at all - I tried everything before before finding Damp Rid. Lots of other people at my campground have started using it as well. They love how maintainence-free it is.........just empty the bucket out when you return and refill as needed.

I also keep some in there during winter storage.