Ask For Christmas Gift Ideas In October

During the first week of October, I send a "gift ideas" list to every person for whom I'll be buying a gift all year long (not just at Christmas). They have a month to get the completed list back to me. The list has 25 categories: favorite hobby, favorite junk food, favorite author, favorite sport, favorite perfume or cologne, thing I'd love to have but would never buy for myself, etc. Some of the answers are soooo funny (and the sender KNOWS he/she will never get that new Corvette or a Hawaiian vacation from me!).

It really helps me to get to know my friends and relatives better, and they have no idea what gift they'll get - or when! I've kept the lists for several years now, and it's really neat to see how tastes and preferences have changed.

By Casey from Plano, TX

I really like this idea. It sounds so much more fun that getting a list. Easier to provide as well. It's hard to ask for things. I have several family members that are "difficult to shop for". Some could say the same of me. :) Would you mind providing the full list of questions you ask?

You could ask favorite store, favorite restaurant, favorite fast food place, favorite color.

Love the idea and would love to see your full list of 25 questions. Here's some other ideas I had; favorite place to buy clothes, favorite restaurant to eat out at, Favorite places to go for fun, kitchen gadget or appliance you'd love to own.

But Casey, you can buy them a Corvette, just buy a model car, lol. As for a Hawaiian vacation, how about some sand and small tiny shells in a box (say a shoe box), add a small umbrella (like they use in drinks), and a small thing of sunscreen. You have a Mini Hawaiian vacation in a box, lol. I do love your idea about the Questionnaire for Christmas gift ideas.

Thank for your kind comments. See, you're all getting the hang of it! A list to go by is SO much better than saying, "What do you want for your birthday or for Christmas?" I hate that - I want my gifts to be special and well thought out!

Here are some other questions on my list (some you've already mentioned):

- something just for fun

- something for the whole family

- a game or puzzle I'd like

- I want to start a collection of, or I want to add to my collection of....

- I really need.....

- something for entertaining

- something for inside my home

- something for the yard

- a little something for my jewelry box

- for the outdoors

- for my computer

- for camping

- tickets for two for.....

- something for my workshop

- something for my wardrobe

- a favorite bath or shower item

Have fun. Be blessed and be a blessing.

Christmas gift list.
Keeping Track of Gift Ideas
Holidays and Parties Christmas GiftsSeptember 18, 2009
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
A girl opening a small gift.
Christmas Countdown Gift Ideas
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume