Alphabetize Your Spices

My family thinks I'm a bit of a psycho because I alphabetize my spices! However, you wouldn't believe how much time this saves when cooking! It cuts the time previously spent looking for a certain spice, down to next to nothing. Not to mention how many times I used to go out and buy another container, only to find several amidst the pre-alphabetized spices! Happy cooking!

By Pam from Storm Lake, IA

I've done this for several years. The first time my sister saw it she figured I had too much time on my hands. I didn't want to argue but I don't think she realizes how much time it does save. Glad to hear someone else does it too!

I alphabetize my canned goods and that way I know just how much I have of something and may/may not need to buy next grocery trip. I also separate ground spices from whole spices on lazy susans and the flavored extracts and food colorings on another along with baking powder and soda, salt and pepper. Whether it's a baking project or mealtime preparation, this works well for me as searching is quick. A good idea my husband suggested is for heavy canned goods and glass jars be placed on the bottom cabinets so less weight is put on the top cabinets that could eventually pull away from the wall from so much weight.

I agree 100%. You're simply saving time and being organized. I have about 40-50 spices, and they are all stored alphabetically, resting on horizontal shelving inside a large kitchen drawer. Now I also alphabetize my DVDs , CDs and Albums, LOL, but that's another story...

I 'loosely' alphabetize my spices to fit on 2 Lazy Susans, don't have much room, but even dividing A-H and I-Z helps alot.

Is their any other way. lol I thought every organized personality did that. ha I have done that for years and you are so right. It save time, money, and looks so organized in your cabinet. Keep going I also organize my can goods. Beans, Corn, Greens etc. This way a glance tells me I am out of whatever and I don't have to search the entire pantry for corn. etc. Guess how much time that saves. Reach in the cab. in the dark and pull out what you need. (most of the time lo)

I just keep my spices on a lazy susan and then I have

another laxy susan with baking spices, nutmeg, cinnamon

and vanilla and I have them in separate cabinets

the baking spices and all the baking needs flour etc

and my canned goods I group like items tomatoe;paste,

sauce, whole and one shelf with beans canned and whole

packages of beans, one shelf for canned fruits one

for other less used canned vegs etc

this makes it easy for me to grab what I need and track

what is needed from grocery store

I could never do the alpha thing it would drive me

nuts! I would want to un do it quickly ....

LOL but keeping order does save lots of time looking

Various Spices in Containers on Wooden Background
Organizing Spices
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesJuly 2, 2008
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall, Spice rack hanging on a wall.
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
A cutting board with ground spices and fresh spices on it.
Ground Spices vs. Fresh Spices
Making a Magnetic Spice Rack
Making a Magnetic Spice Rack