Dead Heading Dianthus

Is it necessary to dead head dianthus?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Hi Holly,

The short answer is ... Yes, they should be deadheaded.

Here's some additional maintenance info for you. I hope it's helpful.

Dianthus Maintenance: Do not mulch all the way around the Dianthus or you will encourage stem rot. Clumps can be divided every 2 or 3 years to encourage better flower production. Snipping blooms off for cut flower arrangements, or deadheading faded blooms will encourage better flower production.

Good Luck!

Joyce

Zone 5 MA

I live i N. Texas. I was told a year or two ago that Dianthus is mostly like an annual in our area, which explains why I couldn't get it to survive or return the next year. I love them, but if they don't return, they can't stay....lol.

I've discovered that native plants and grasses are the better choices, along with . If I have the seed I plant bloomers in large pots and take them inside in winter to try to get them to survive. Geranium is a good one, ground covers have blooms, Iris comes in wonderful TRIcolor blooms and need so little care, although short bloomers;

Honeysuckle and Asian/Carolina Jasmine do very well in ordinary soils and little to no care other than annual trimming.

My yard is truly organic, and plants seem to love it so much that it's overgrown with foliage, wild in a few areas. However, what grows is either a native, bloomer or is edible for the most part, with fragrant trees such as Chinese Privet, Bradford Pear, Crepe Myrtle, Cherry Laurel, even dwarf mature boxwood. All do well in Texas if not overwatered.

I encourage low maintenance plants, like Autuum Joy

Sedum, Varigated Lirope, lillies, Varigated Vinca Major, Dwarf Monkey Grass, Autumn and Texas Sages, Mexican Petunia, Lemon Balm, Rubra Basil, Eleagnus, Clearya shrubs and many more indiginous to Texas. Tarragon is a bit rampant, as is the Lemon Balm, but Comfry stays wiithin it's boundaries.

I have wild wood violets(like lettuce), and common clover(try it if you like lemon flavor), that are edible, along with wild raspberries and Elephant Garlic that return faithfully with the the Apple, and Plum trees. I grow dandelion greens, Cilantro, and Parsley for my house Bunnies. Tomatoes grow and bloom for some folks, but not me. I have learned to love the blooms on all native plants and not spend so much time on things like Dianthus that just rots quickly in the rainy season, and for most folks who keep flowerbeds enriched. Pots might work much better. Good luck and God bless and help you. : )

Hope something here helps? Good luck and God bless. : )

imho, no flowering plant HAS to be deadheaded. You deadhead when you want it to make more flowers. Some plants will rebloom and others only bloom once per growing season.

I know that the groundcover known as pinks is related to dianthus. Some dianthus go by the common name of carnation. If you run the lawnmower over pinks, they rebloom. Hope this is of some help in answering your question.

good luck

deadheading lilies.
Deadheading Flowers
Home and Garden Gardening Pruning AdviceMay 12, 2008
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Deadheading a Hydrangea
Deadheading a Hydrangea
Jumper Cables
Jump Starting a Car Battery
Dianthus Flowers
Growing Dianthus
🎉
🎄