Appraising China

Category Miscellaneous
Determining the value of fine china can be accomplished in a number of ways. This guide is about appraising china.

Value of Bone China - bottom of plate with info

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Finding a reputable appraiser is one of the better ways to determine the value of your bone china. This is a guide about finding the value of English bone china.

Does anyone recognize this? Look closely at the image inside the cup. It is the perfect image of a Chinese woman. I found it by accident while cleaning it. I have a whole set of tea cups and saucers, teapot, sugar and creamer, and a cake plate with 6 matching dishes. Absolutely gorgeous! It was passed down to me by my mother. It was one of her wedding gifts about 70 years ago. I always thought it was strange that there is no brand name on the back of the items. They are all blank, until I saw the image of the face. Did I just discover something valuable?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

These are very collectible cups but do not always bring a big price when actually sold. But since you have a complete set it is possible yours would be valuable.

I love to use eBay as a guide because it is a very large site that gets a lot of traffic and gives me a better chance of finding "true" value - what people will actually pay for an item.

Here is a link to present Geisha Lithophane listed on eBay:

http://www.ebay  ne+&_sacat=0

Here is a link that shows what some actually sold for:

http://www.ebay  d=p2045573.m1684

But if you want a pretty accurate idea as to the true value of your set, you can ask your question here and someone will try to help you:

http://communit  rcelain/bd-p/275

Can anyone help me with these please? I am not sure what to do with them. There are 3 sets of cups and saucers. They are lovely old sets. One set is a pink colour. They all have marks on the bottoms. This is one set.

Hi do your cup and saucer have a number on them

I'm trying to find out about French Saxon china. It says 22 carat gold on the bottom.

The Sebring Historical Society has a lot of information and pictures on this type of china: http://www.sebr  frenchSaxon.html

I have a set of Johann Haviland china from Bavaria Germany that my grandmother left to me. Is it worth anything?

I'm sure that is worth something, but you have to find the right market for it. Look on eBay as well, to see if such things are sold their. You could also check with local antique shops.

How would I estaimate the value of a set of Rotal Tettau platinum china?

Lots of information on Google but Replacement's will probably give you the most information as to price but any china like this is usually very difficult to sell unless you take it to an antique shop.

There are a lot of listings on eBay for Royal Tettau (not Rotal Tettau) but you will need your pattern number/name for research at any of these sites.

http://www.replacements.com/

My grandmother gave me her antique china set before she passed away. I am having a hard time trying to find any like it. It is an entire set with every piece included. It has the dinner plates, cups, saucers, bowels, gravy dish, etc. It comes in zippered cloth cases. The dishes are white with a silver lining. Unfortunately, all it says on the bottom is "Westinghouse." I know she had them for at least 50 years.

As I do research online searching for Westinghouse china dinnerware, all I can find is information that the Hall China company made some dinnerware/china for Westinghouse, but the images I find are nothing like the set I have. I am just trying to find out any additional information about this particular set. I am in no way interested in getting rid of it. It would just be nice to know what the value of it is. If anyone has anymore information on it, that would be so fantastic. As I stated above, it is a very simple, yet pretty set with white dishes with silver lining, says Westinghouse on the back of everything, comes in green cloth zipper cases.

Thanks.

I tried, I still cannot find the same set. Strange....

I have a incomplete china dish set. How much is it worth? It was made by Royalton China Co. It is translucent porcelain fine china E. G. 3301 YD. I want to sell it, but have no idea what is worth. It was passed down from an aunt.

A very easy online search for possible values for the china produced many replies. EBay has many Royalton items available, such as a cup and saucer for $3.45. You can also consign the set or try an auction house for a value estimate.

I have several sets of china and I would like to find their value. The first is a set of fine Mikasa china. I also have a set of Meito Norleans, and lastly a set of set of Kings Court china, Serenity pattern.

By S.S.

You have all the sets with pertinent information so look on eBay and Google but as the first responder suggested - Replacements.com is the best place to see individual pieces (and sometimes sets) of almost all china.

I have an 8 piece place setting of Royal Doulton china in the Rhodes pattern. I have the serving pieces, napkin rings, cake plate, and soup bowls, too.

By Gail C. from Northford, CT

You could Google your question but try Replacements as they have this china.

I have a set of Sheridan, Noritake china with M in the insignia. It was made in Japan. US design, PAT. OW533 (hard to read). Any ideas what it might be worth? It is from the early part of last century.

By Susan B

Noritake china is ubiquitous in this country and most commonly used in restaurants, homes, airlines, etc. The import of Noritaki to the US from Japan started in 1910 so is not considered "antique" by Chinese researchers.

http://antiques  e_Noritake_China

I bought a serving bowl from a local flea market. It is made by Edward M. Knowles China Co. It is 10 inches in diameter. The number on the back is 21- 3 9 patented. Does anyone know the value?

You can check this out on eBay and Google but i do not think it is very valuable.

Try looking on Replacements also as they have a lot of items listed.

This is a blue on white Ridgway Potteries serving bowl. The bowl has the number 03 stamped into the back with the Ridgeway logo and "Made in England" under it. There is a 1/8" X 1/4" chip on the back.

Ridgeway Potteries Ltd. was founded around 1744 in Staffordshire, England. John Ridgeway was appointed potter to Her Majesty Queen Victoria, earning a high commendation at the 1851 Exhibition.

Ridgeway Potteries was purchased in 1960 by Royal Doutlon and production under the Ridgeway name ceased.

I am interested in any other details and an estimated value.

I get help with pricing from ebay. Put your information into the search bar. You can "watch" item to see what they sell for. You can also search "completed" items and set "follow this search" to get emails every time your item gets a new listing.

Kovels is also a helpful resource.

http://www.kove  price-guide.html

I have a small saucer that I would like to figure out what it is worth! It has a name on the back of it, but I can't tell what the letters are. I have enclosed a picture of front and back. I don't have any other pieces that match this saucer. I bought it at a thrift store! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Go to Replacements.com to find out about your china piece - they are right up the road from me - its truly wonderful to go see all of their china pieces that they have; the place is HUGE...they will buy from you OR you can sell to them. Check out their website at Replacements.com and keep us posted on what you find out!

I am trying to find info about an Ardalt china piece manufactured in Japan it is numbered 6646.

I have some antique dishes, Flying Turkey, with the "M" mark in a wreath, "T" mark in a wreath or triangle, and "TT" in triangles. What are they worth (ball park)? They were made in the early 19th Century.

By fyfer from Colchester, VT

Anonymous

Oh, I forgot about Replacements LTD! Here's their link and you might find your pattern on a search there!

http://www.repl  =kx&982&

I have a huge set of Noritake china, pattern N 1285. It was a service for 12, but there are chips in 2 of the dinner plates and a small platter. It is also missing several teacups, etc. But, most of it is in excellent condition and there are several nice unique serving dishes as well. It is old, but I cannot find out much about it. Any help?

By Debbie

You can Google your question but there may be some individual pieces on Replacements and they also buy sets.

I am wondering if you could help me put a value on a piece I saw yesterday?

By Lyn

You will find information on Google, eBay, Replacements

but you may need a pattern name.

I have a 22-piece espresso and dessert demitasse set, made by Schwarzenhammer Bavaria West Germany. There are 6 cups and saucers, 6 dessert plates, a pedestal dessert plate, coffee pot, sugar and creamer. I don't know the name of the pattern, but it is floral with gold. The plates are pierced around the edge and multi-sided. According to http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/germany/bavaria/schwarzenhammer-01/, the mark 1-23 indicates: Used around 1955, with 'WESTERN GERMANY' as part of the mark. All pieces are in excellent condition. Can you tell me what the approximate value of this set would be? Thank you.

By Laurie W. from LaBelle, FL

You can search ebay and other websites for answers or take the collection to an auction house for an estimate.

Load More