Removing Nicotine from Walls

What is the best product to use to clean nicotine and cooking grease from walls?

By G. Riggs

Best Answer

What are the walls made of? I did ours first with pine oil and water, using a squeezed out sponge mop. Then the last cleaning was with Murphy's oil soap. Then the very last was with Old English or Scott's Liquid gold furniture oil (I had little bits of both). The walls in the home we had at that time were 70's wood paneling, and some were painted. It worked great!

Best Answer

TSP or Tri Sodium Phosphate is the best thing I have used, and I was a painter. It's either available in dry form to mix with water or liquid. Use a mask and goggles, as it's not good to breath it in much or splash in your eyes.

It works really well. Hope that helps. PBP

Best Answer

Half vinegar half water will not only cut the nicotine from the walls while leaving the paint on, it will also remove the odor of the nicotine. Yes, the vinegar smell will dissipate overnight. Promise.

I have done this method 3 times so far, but it hasn't gotten rid of any of the odor.

Best Answer

I use a cleaner called Awesome, sold in Dollar General, Family Dollar, etc. stores. Very cheap yet very good.

Anonymous

I try'd awesome and it did not work at all

I totally agree!

Yes and I get the Owesome Oxygen Orange all purpose degreaser & spot remover, this stuff is amazing but I think that a few years back they changed the ingredients because it does work great but a while back it was even better if you can imagine that.

Best Answer

Use a little ammonia, a little white vinegar, a squirt of dawn dish soap, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and some hot water - at least one gallon of hot water. This takes nicotine off your walls fast and you don't have to go back over it to rinse. I have even used Easy Off Oven Cleaner in the blue can on stubborn areas on the wall. With that though, you have to work very fast because it will remove the paint right off of the wall.

Anonymous

I used this but i never had any baking soda but even without the baking soda it worked great , i can only imagine how it will work when i add the baking soda ,and it was on a small bathroom that was closed when the person was smoking for almost 20 years (very dark yellow and brown stains.

Best Answer

I used white rubbing alcohol and a handi-wipe. Because alcohol evaporates quickly that was the only cloth that worked. I completely soaked the rag no need to wring out and wiped down wall. Follow immediately with a wet towel(not one of the good one's) . The nicotine came right off. I still have the handiwipe but the towel had to be tossed. Good Luck.

Best Answer

When my brother and sister-in-law passed away their son needed help getting the house cleaned up and ready for sale. All 3 were smokers and the walls and ceilings were completely coated. I tried many methods then stumbled on the absolute best and EASIEST way to do it. I used WINDEX window cleaner and the swiffer wetcloths. Since the cloths are used with a pole it makes doing the walls and ceilings easy. Just spray a section at a time (make sure to start at the top as the nicotine runs down the wall) and follow with the wetcloths. You do go through a lot of the cloths but I discovered later they can be wrung out and reused a couple of times before having to toss them. The windex and swiffer method took all of the nicotine off and also neutralized most of the smoke smell leaving it smelling clean and fresh.

Thanks I will try this. My elderly mother is a chain smoker in a apt and her land loard is saying she hast to clean her walls. I will try this. Thanks a lot. Did you use swifter brand or off brand. I know off brand is cheaper but don't know if would be as good.

Anonymous

Swifter wet mopsjet, not the wet jet, they are awesome and one tub of wipes usually will do an entire living area and it deodorizes at same time.

Believe it or not Scrubbing Bubbles foaming bathroom spray does an excellent job. A little messy though.

Buy a 5lb box of TSP from a hardware store such as True Value or Home Depot,

Clorox Bleach, and a Box of Tide with Oxy Powder. You will need to wear Google's and cleaning gloves. Mix some of the TSP in a bucket with water bleach and a little tide with Oxy. Use a scrub rag and clean. After the cleaning of walls and ceilings are complete, paint all walls with Kilz.

Will Murphy's oil soap work