Reuse Prescription Bottles As Plant Filler

I am on several different medications and every month I would throw the bottles away, because I did not know of any use for them, other than beading. The other night, I thought maybe they can be used in the bottom of plant jars, along with rocks. I haven't tried it yet, but I wanted to share the idea before I forgot about it. Take care all.

By Nancy from Dover, DE

My Mom thought of another neat idea for pill bottles... use them to put salad dressing in for your lunch! Most bottles have the screw on lid as well as the child-proof side so I screw my lid on and no leaks have happend yet! You can even label them w/ an adress label or write on w/ a permnant marker.

I put flower seeds in them. My columbine, money plant, hollyhocks, morning glories, and other vines like Japanese Lanterns, set seed when they are finished blooming.Most of the seed falls to the ground, and re-seeds itself.

I gather some of the spent flowers, put them into a brown lunch bag. Close the bag, and shake it a bit. All the seeds will fall to the bottom of the bag. You can easily remove the stems,spent flower parts, and so on. Then pour the seeds into the pill bottles. Write on the side the year, and name of the flower, or vine. Keep them in a dark dry place ( like a cabinet drawer) until it is time to re-plant in the spring.

This is a good way to share seeds with your neighbors too. Just exchange "pill bottles."

Columbine seems to be the one that everybody asks about. Some places people call it a Blazing Star. The colors vary too. It is beautiful, and will re-seed itself for next year. But gathering the extra seeds for a friend is easy this way.

Word of warning on reusing pill bottles: don't if you have young children in your house at all. In the bottom of a pot--great idea!

I was glad to see their uses here because I have tested several and found them not to leach plasticizers, etc., some made of @2 HDPE plastic, safest per research scientist Hullda Clark.

I get at least 2 bottles a month so my Husband decided to use them for organizing his nuts,bolts, screws and small items. Once he gets it all set up he will screw the lid to the bottom of a shelf and just screw the bottles onto the lids. They're see through so no need to lable and everything is easy to find and securely closed.

I cut up soda bottles, cardboard and the plastic bags from the dirt and anything I could find to put in the bottom of my flowerpots this summer and it seemed to work.

pill bottle hide a key
Uses for Prescription Bottles
Better Living Green Living ReusingSeptember 23, 2008
Prescription Eyeglasses Sitting on Eye Chart
Saving Money on Prescription Eyeglasses
Old woman holding prescription drug bottles.
Prescription Drugs Tips for Seniors
Empty Pill Bottles
Craft Ideas for Used Medicine or Pill Bottles
Recycling Prescription Bottles, Prescription Bottles on White Background
Recycling Prescription Bottles