Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

My Dog Likes Laying in Mulch

0EmailPrintFollowSave

Does anyone know of anything that will work to deter a dog from laying in mulch? We have planted 3 lilac bushes and some hasta in our back yard. We mulched them and our collie decided to start laying in the mulch. We even put a 1 1/2-2 ft. edging-type fence around it and she jumps over the fence to get to it so she can lay in it. She's smashed one of my hasta.. I love my dog, but this has got to stop! HELP!

Robin from Washington, IA

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Doreen 1 27 06/24/2006 Flag

Where did you get you mulch from? Perhaps there is a scent that she likes...also mulch keeps in the moisture & that means it maybe cooler for her as I am persuming she has longer hair.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Pattie Hartley 2 104 06/26/2006 Flag

Is it cedar mulch? There is a current post on here right now that cedar chips help keep ticks and fleas away from your dog. Maybe you could make an area with mulch or cedar chips by his house or something where he can lay and teach him to go there instead of on your flowers. As for the hostas my mother's dog used to lay on her hostas year after year. Finally after like 3 years he quit doing it and they are big and beautiful.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary 12 195 06/26/2006 Flag

Robin, my dogs are doing the same thing and I wish I had a solution. I keep walking them over to the offending spot and scolding them hoping it will register! I also have concrete edgers around the mulch but I recently added a few heavy cinder blocks against those temporarily, hoping that will discourage them. The cinder blocks are too heavy for the dogs to dig away or move so it seems to be working for now. I admit I thought about making a bedding area out of mulch specifically for the dogs to use, but then I though that might encourage them to attack the other planting areas that they haven't yet dug away, so I think I've changed my mind on that one!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cate Kohr 7 06/27/2006 Flag

Spray the mulch with oil of peppermint; not toxic to the plants, but repugnant to the dog, and inexpensive to do. mix it w/ water and a few drops of diswashing detergent to make it adhere to the mulch so that it is not washed away quickly. Red pepper can also be used, but can be injurious to the mucous membranes of the dog.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By NJP (Guest Post) 06/07/2007 Flag

Has anyone found a mulch that does not irritate their dogs skin?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By BARB E (Guest Post) 02/07/2008 Flag

WE ARE TRYING TO KEEP FLEAS AND OTHER INSECTS AWAY. WE JUST MULCHED AN ENTIRE AREA IN THE BACK OF OUR LOT TO HELP WITH BUG CONTROL. WE PURCHASED CYPRESS. IS THE CYPRESS MULCH A GOOD INSECT REPELLENT?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Nan Corpe 7 290 02/25/2010 Flag

If you have a dog, never use cocoa mulch. They eat it and it can be fatal.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Nan Corpe 7 290 02/25/2010 Flag

Maybe you could make the dog a little mulch pile of his own and when you find him in yours, say "no" and walk him over to his own. Tell him to lie down, then make a fuss over him when he lies down in his own. Could possibly work after repeating this over and over a few times.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes