Preventing Mold on Cheese

If it is not a variation of blue cheese you probably would prefer it not be moldy. This is a guide about preventing mold on cheese.

April 21, 2010 Flag

If you are like me and prefer to purchase a "chunk" of cheese instead of already shredded cheese, this tip is for you. This is something I discovered on my own. Years ago, I would wipe down every surface I could get to on our sailboat (inside), before leaving it after a weekend out, with plain old vinegar.

Vinegar retards the growth of mold. When we would return, the boat still was fresh. After finding mold on a chunk of cheese I decided to try a little experiment. I took a paper towel and folded it down to about a 2 x 2 inch square. I then dampened the paper towel with vinegar. Barely damp, just enough that you can tell it is damp. I then wrapped my cheese in the paper towel and placed inside a Ziploc bag and returned to the refrigerator.

I have never had cheese mold on me again and I have not wasted a bite. If your paper towel begins to dry out, all that you need to do is to redampen the towel with vinegar. The small amount that you are using doesn't leave a vinegar taste to the cheese. Buying cheese in "chunks" is cheaper than the already shredded and will save you a bit of money in addition to no more moldy cheese. Cheese will last for weeks stored this way. Hope you will give this a try because it certainly does work.

By banty from Chatom, AL

I wash berries in diluted white vinegar as soon as I get them home - they keep much longer and don't mold. We always have lots of cheese here, so I'm trying this tip next. Thanks!

Does it have to be regular vinegar, or will apple cider vinegar work?

I gonna try the vinegar trick, thanks for posting. -pawPaw

It seems a good idea

I'll try it cause I like all kind of cheeses n buy them on sale too

Thanks for sharing

September 1, 2012 Flag

I buy 5 lb. bags of shredded mozzarella cheese because my family makes pizza on a regular basis. However, once the bag is opened, it tends to begin to mold fairly quickly. Has anyone used a variation of this vinegar method with shredded cheese? If this doesn't work, does anyone have a suggestion?

By rcraftlady from East Coast

Best Answer

Once the bag of cheese is open be sure no one sticks fingers in to get out a handful. I instruct the family to use a long handled iced tea spoon. This has helped immensely. I'm going to add the vinegar dampened paper towel too now.

Shredded chease will keep in the freezer and you can use it with out defrosting it on your pizzas.

I buy 5 pound bags of shredded cheese. I divide the bag into 5 bags. I freeze 4 and keep 1 in refrigerator.

I wrap my cheese in saran wrap and then tinfoil. Keeps mold away no sign of it after weeks I just change tinfoil when it becomes torn after awhile.

June 17, 2005 Flag

No more moldy cheese in the refrigerator: moisten a paper towel with a bit of cider vinegar and wrap it around your wedge of cheese; then place the wrapped cheese in a plastic bag and seal.

January 1, 2005 Flag

Moldy cheese is still safe to eat. Just cut away the mold.

February 26, 2010 Flag

I purchase the sliced American cheese (120) slices from Sam's club. I like their American cheese the best. When I get home I put all the slices of cheese in an empty bread bag and it is just as fresh months later as the day I put in the bread bag.

April 21, 2010 Flag

First dampen paper towel with apple cider vinegar then wrap around the block of cheese. Then wrap in foil and place in zipper type baggie.

This will keep the cheese for a couple of months without getting mold. The vinegar does not leave a taste on the cheese.

By Rosemary from Ludlow Falls, OH

Answers:

Prevent Mold On Cheese With Vinegar

I was wondering if this would work with cream cheese? (04/19/2008)

By Sandy

Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyFebruary 16, 2012
Preventing Mold On Berries, Moldy Strawberry
Preventing Mold On Fresh Berries
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
Picture of garden mulch.
Getting Rid of Mold on Mulch
🎄