Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Preventing Mold on Cheese

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A container of moldy cheddar cheese.

If it is not a variation of blue cheese you probably would prefer it not be moldy. This is a guide about preventing mold on cheese.

Solutions: Preventing Mold on Cheese

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Prevent Mold on Cheese with Vinegar

If you are like me and prefer to purchase a "chunk" of cheese instead of already shredded cheese, this tip is for you. This is something I discovered on my own. Years ago, I would wipe down every surface I could get to on our sailboat (inside), before leaving it after a weekend out, with plain old vinegar.

Vinegar retards the growth of mold. When we would return, the boat still was fresh. After finding mold on a chunk of cheese I decided to try a little experiment. I took a paper towel and folded it down to about a 2 x 2 inch square. I then dampened the paper towel with vinegar. Barely damp, just enough that you can tell it is damp. I then wrapped my cheese in the paper towel and placed inside a Ziploc bag and returned to the refrigerator.

I have never had cheese mold on me again and I have not wasted a bite. If your paper towel begins to dry out, all that you need to do is to redampen the towel with vinegar. The small amount that you are using doesn't leave a vinegar taste to the cheese. Buying cheese in "chunks" is cheaper than the already shredded and will save you a bit of money in addition to no more moldy cheese. Cheese will last for weeks stored this way. Hope you will give this a try because it certainly does work.

By banty from Chatom, AL

Tip: Store Sliced Cheese In Bread Bag

I purchase the sliced American cheese (120) slices from Sam's club. I like their American cheese the best. When I get home I put all the slices of cheese in an empty bread bag and it is just as fresh months later as the day I put in the bread bag. It never molds or gets dried out. Be sure and keep a clip on the open end of the bag. Keep it in the refrigerator, and do not freeze it.

Source: I have been doing this for years

By Verna from Walton, Indiana

Tip: Preventing Moldy Cheese in the Refrigerator

No more moldy cheese in the refrigerator: moisten a paper towel with a bit of cider vinegar and wrap it around your wedge of cheese; then place the wrapped cheese in a plastic bag and seal. The acid in the vinegar will keep mold away. If the paper towel dries out, moisten it with a bit of water-vinegar solution.

By Joesgirl

Tip: Eating Moldy Cheese

Moldy cheese is still safe to eat. Just cut away the mold.

By Linda

Editor's Note: Here's some more information on moldy cheese.

"Question - Is it healthy to eat moldy cheese?

Some cheese is actually made by introducing mold into it! Some examples are Roquefort, blue, Gorgonzola, and Stilton cheese. These molds are completely safe to eat. However, if you have a soft cheese that becomes moldy, it is best to through it away. If you have a hard cheese that becomes moldy, cut the mold off an inch around each side. Make sure your knife doesn't touch the mold. Re-wrap the cheese in a new wrap or container. Eating moldy cheese can cause allergic reactions or respiratory problems. Some molds even produce a type of toxin that can make you sick. It is better to be safe than sorry, don't eat moldy cheese unless it's the safe kind of mold!

Grace Fields"

Source: Newton
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01729.htm

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Preventing Mold on Cheese.

Question: Preventing Cheese from going Mouldy

Can you use white vinegar instead of cider vinegar to stop moulding?

By Kevin

Question: Using Vinegar to Prevent Mold on Cheese

I buy 5 lb. bags of shredded mozzarella cheese because my family makes pizza on a regular basis. However, once the bag is opened, it tends to begin to mold fairly quickly. Has anyone used a variation of this vinegar method with shredded cheese? If this doesn't work, does anyone have a suggestion?

By rcraftlady from East Coast

Most Recent Answer

By Tammygrrrl12/30/2012

I keep all hard cheese in the freezer, shredded cheese lasts months longer. I once received a 20 lb. block of white cheddar and after giving away at least half of it, I hacked the rest into smaller blocks and it kept in the freezer for over a year. Hope this helps!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Prevent Mold On Cheese With Vinegar

First dampen paper towel with apple cider vinegar then wrap around the block of cheese. Then wrap in foil and place in zipper type baggie.

This will keep the cheese for a couple of months without getting mold. The vinegar does not leave a taste on the cheese.

By Rosemary from Ludlow Falls, OH

RE: Prevent Mold On Cheese With Vinegar

I was wondering if this would work with cream cheese? (04/19/2008)

By Sandy